Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to gp, what do i say???

Re: Going to gp, what do i say???

Hi Debbsi - sorry I seemed to go all around the houses to get to the point I was trying to make. Easily done for me, I can turn a one liner into an epic (here I go again !).

The message I was trying to convey was don't drink on meds.

Krakers.

No worries Krakers, your advice is much appreciated (as is everybodies)

I have been struggling on a personal level since i started secondary school (i'm now 23). I've been to see my doctor lots of times, trying to get help but not being able to explain/admit to how big my problems were.

After hiting a rough point, i went for a free life coaching session, which led me to buy some books and realise i have social phobia. I fear mostly work situations - meetings, certain people who I feel are better than me, because i'm scared of looking stupid. I stit at work with a tshirt on in winter, and still sweat buckets because I can't relax. Even at home I cannot relaxing, thinking about what could go wrong tomorrow, my heart racing.

Do you think it is now worth approaching my doctor, now that I know what the problem is? I have see her many times about panic attacks, nervousness etc, but never about anything definite. I feel like i'm always at the doctors and they won't take me seriously, but I think only now I understand what my 'problem' is! I didn't know that they were now recognising these problems, is there cbt on the nhs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tracey

Don't be afraid of going to your GP, it's their job to help people. I know it can feel like admitting there is a problem, but they are there to help. It can't hurt to at least have a chat and see what they think. They won't make you do anything you don't want to do and it's better to go see someone who knows what they are talking about rather than worrying in silence about it.

If you don't feel comfortable with your current doc, ask to see another one till you find a good one. In my experience most GP's are great tho, they see people everyday suffering with our sort of problems and like Krakers said earlier in this thread, you'd be surprised how many people in the waiting room are probably going through exactly the the same thing.

Hi Jimbo

Nice to hear other peoples advice and opinions. I am happy with my current doc, I just worry that she will underestimate what i'm going through.

I guess the best thing to do is try!

Trace

Hey guys,

Did you manage to go and talk to your docs, how did it go?

Hope it went ok.

Jim

Hey jimbo

I went on Thursday, I asked to see the doc who is nice and understanding, I felt I could talk to him better. He was really suprised that I felt like I did, he thought i always came across as strong and confident! Anyway he asked what was my current worry and I told him I have IBS and was worried about it. He explained the condition really well, so I felt a little better about that. I told him that I had reached a stage where I thought I needed some help, and that I didnt want meds, he said that was fine and they have a mental health graduate who works from the surgery doing counselling and cbt. So hes refered me to her and said shell probably phone me next week.
    I feel so much better now I've been and done it, just wait to hear from her now.

Well done for going to the docs and telling them exactly how you feel. It can be hard sometimes in that situation, putting across how you really feel and getting what you want/need out of the appointment. I find that I can't get my words out and forget what I wanted to say. I am aiming to go to the docs next week to ask for support. It's good to hear how you got on, and I hope you let us know what happens next. I hope you get the support you need.

Trace

Well done Debssi, good work. It's never as bad as you think. Hope all goes well for you. I bet you feel much better already, it was a massive wieght off my shoulders and a big relief for me when I did it.

I'm the same as you Trace with getting my words out, sometimes it's even hard to put into words how I'm feeling. I'm sure you'll be fine, maybe try doing the making notes thing I suggested, even if you don't take them with you it does help by preparing you for what you're going to say.

I've seen my GP so many times now it's much easier as she now knows me really well now.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by trace View Post
    Well done for going to the docs and telling them exactly how you feel. It can be hard sometimes in that situation, putting across how you really feel and getting what you want/need out of the appointment. I find that I can't get my words out and forget what I wanted to say. I am aiming to go to the docs next week to ask for support. It's good to hear how you got on, and I hope you let us know what happens next. I hope you get the support you need.

Trace
    Hi Trace, I recently decided I'd suffererd anxiety long enough (7years) without asking for help and took the two steps of joining this forum and confessing all to my GP. I can't begin to explain how much weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I was really nervous about telling her but she was very understanding and talked through all the options with me and put me in total control of making the decision of what action I could take next. We decided that I would see the counsellor at the practice and I was given some diazepam that I should only take when the anxiety is severe or I can't sleep.

In terms of CBT it depends on what is available in your area on the NHS. In some PCTs they have CPNs who practice in Primary Care who can practice forms of CBT. To see a Psychologist on the NHS you must be referred by a psychiatrist. I'm reluctant to go the psychiatry route myself at this stage, private CBT is extremely expensive though.

Good luck telling your GP, I'm sure you'll feel much better in getting it off your chest and knowing that help is at hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information