Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescribed Sertraline today and have some questions

Re: Prescribed Sertraline today and have some questions

When it comes to side-effects with these meds, some people get all of what the pack leaflet outlines, others get a few, others none at all.

We all have different body chemistry, if you do experience side-effects just try to ride them out if you can, they don't last forever.

Personally I didn't get the weight gain

Hi guys. Sorry it's been a while since I updated.

So I started by taking half of my 50mg pill for about 2 weeks. The first 2 days on that dose I would feel what I can only describe as moderate mental torment about a couple hours after taking the pill, but it would only last less than half an hour. I would curl up in ball for a bit and it would pass, and this was only for a couple of days. Other than that I was feeling very fatigued and some days found it hard to do simple day to day tasks. There was no increase of anxiety (my anxiety actually decreased over the 2 weeks) and no other side effects.

After 2 weeks on half a dose I went up to 3 quarters of a tablet for a week and didn't really notice any new side effects (except a minor feeling of surrealness every now and then which I just felt was the meds reaching my brain), but was still feeling very fatigued.

After a week on 3 quarters I finally went up to my prescribed dose of 50mg. After a couple of days I noticed new side effects. They were: extreme hot flushes, disturbed sleep, more frequent urination, and the fatigue carried on. For about a week these were the only side effects I experienced and my anxiety was getting less and less instead of worse which I had expected. I felt like all the side effects were bearable and not as bad as I thought.

Well, after the first week on 50mg things started getting increasingly worse. I've been on it for about a week and a half now and have felt increasingly worse the last few days. The first thing I noticed was that I hadn't been feeling 'like myself'. It's been as if I can't relate to myself or understand myself and there is a disconnect. My reality feels different and I feel sort of surreal. It's hard to explain and is subtle but I am very aware that I feel different than normal and it's unsettling. I'm also still very fatigued and drowsy. And I'm still getting really bad hot flushes - I went out earlier and I was really hot and sweaty wearing only a hoodie as a jacket, and it was SNOWING. Sometimes I get so hot I go under a cold shower and can barely feel the cold. My sleep is disturbed - I find it hard to get to sleep and seem to wake up every hour. I've also started to feel more anxious the last couple of days, though different to the anxiety I was feeling before the meds. It's very mental where as before my anxiety was more physical

So yeah, unfortunately I'm not doing great. I'm at a week and a half on my full dose it just seems to be getting worse. Like I feel worse today than I did yesterday etc. I hope things start to improve soon . .

How is everyone else doing?

Hi Amani,

I'm on day 6 of Sertraline and like you I'm starting with half of a 50 mg pill.

I had the EXACT same thing you describe of having a near mental breakdown a few hours after taking it. The first night I woke up feeling like someone need to peel me off the ceiling - thoughts racing, couldn't lay still, completely panicked. I had also taken Xanax for the first time that night (my doctor prescribed to counteract the initial anxiety of getting on Sertraline) and I thought it was that at first, but now I realize that Sert can cause more anxiety to start off with until you adjust.

I'm still feeling really anxious, but you described it in a good way - mental and not physical. I still have intrusive anxious thoughts but it doesn't feel like I get so physically worked up about them.

I have fleeting waves of nausea and almost no appetite. Also very tired and haven't been sleeping very well. The anxiety from the meds is making my HA a bit worse with regard to the throat/neck issues I've been having, but I'm trying to push through until my three-week check up with my doctor.

Sorry to hear that your symptoms are getting worse! Have you contact your doctor to see what they say?

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."
    William Ralph Inge

Sert takes about 4-6 hours to reach it's peak levels in your blood plasma. So, I don't think that reaction you were having was the med since it would have increased or at least lingered through this period & beyond. It was probably your own anxiety about taking it or other things bothering you.

The standard pharmacokinetic calculation for a drug to reach "steady-state" (as much going in as out of your body) is 5 x the half life of the drug. It differs per drug though. It should also be noted that Sert is seen to last about 1.5 times longer in women than men. So, in the first week of your increase you weren't keeping a steady level in your blood plasma. This is why things get worse a little later on when you reach that consistency.

Amani, this is exactly what is happening to me. I can totally identify with everything you are feeling. I don't ever remember feeling like this on Citalopram but I increased from 25mg to 50mg two weeks ago and the side affects are getting worse than ever. This weekend has been horrendous and I'm sitting here at work in a state. Dr gave me diazepam but I've only a few left and she said no more after this lot so that's making me panic as it's the only thing that is keeping me coping. Not eating still and still waking at 5:00am in an anxiety mess. The only time I feel okay is after tea for a few hours before bed and then it all starts again the next morning. I'm too scared to swap to another one if the Dr suggests it as I couldn't go through all the start up side affects all over again.

ive been on Sertraline for 3 months now.. started at 25mg for a few weeks went up to 50mg for 5 weeks, increased to 75mg for 17 days.. felt so ill dropped to 62.5 for 2 weeks, still felt dreadful so dropped back to 50mg which where i am at now and have been for 1 week.. its fair to say im not doing right well:( was hoping it might settle down but the physical side affects are worse than ever! Back to docs in 2 weeks cos she said stay at the 50mg for 3 week and see if the side affects settle.. oh boy its hard work. Hope everyone else doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by pollynewsome View Post
    ive been on Sertraline for 3 months now.. started at 25mg for a few weeks went up to 50mg for 5 weeks, increased to 75mg for 17 days.. felt so ill dropped to 62.5 for 2 weeks, still felt dreadful so dropped back to 50mg which where i am at now and have been for 1 week.. its fair to say im not doing right well:( was hoping it might settle down but the physical side affects are worse than ever! Back to docs in 2 weeks cos she said stay at the 50mg for 3 week and see if the side affects settle.. oh boy its hard work. Hope everyone else doing ok.
    Hey I jumped threads and saw you on this one ! Things are still bumpy for you aren't they. I've nearly done 8 weeks at 50 mg . Had started to feel better then 4 days ago started to feel weird in the mornings- sort of numb/ detached and really down. It's awful .I hope this a blip that will pass cos I'm starting to think I can't be suited to this med. Reading other posts on this thread it seems it's not just me. Hugs to everyone

hyg im having a terrible time of it:( keep thinking today will be the day but nope! Im at 50mg at mo and gunna try and stick at it for another 2 weeks! on another thread i had kinda said i think i will just quit cold turkey and start on something else once out of system, Sorry to hear you're not great at mo, it s rubbish isnt it? Im sure it will be a blip. hugs back at ya

Same as you guys - just don't know whether to stick it out or what to do - does anyone really know if this drug is okay to take? I am getting worried now about the affects etc. Never got this with Citalopram. Scared they will want me to try yet another one. Just living hell at the moment and try to carry on as normal.

Its a nightmare justanutter.. i read some really good success stories so im still hopeful! Keep strong all. x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information