Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drowsiness as a long term symptom or maybe withdrawal symptom?

Re: Drowsiness as a long term symptom or maybe withdrawal symptom?

Yeah I can try...

Withdrawing from Diazepam doesn't really make you that sedated that you are hitting 9+hrs of sleep...

The 'high does of antihistamines' however does exactly that - especially if they contain promethazine or diphenhydramine...
    Last edited by unfitwellhappy; 16-01-16 at 20:38. Reason: shocking spelling mistake

I've been on a high dose of antihistamines for 2 years without this problem

Quote Originally Posted by Amani View Post
    I've been on a high dose of antihistamines for 2 years without this problem
    Okay - so that's likely not it then

People who generally get withdrawal fatigue from benzos are withdrawing from the higher end of the scale (which you aren't)..also it's usually related to an increase in depression..

If you are concerned though - pause your taper and to speak to your GP

It could be as simple as you are coming down with something, please try to relax - I genuinely don't think it's related to the benzo - i'm not a psychiatrist, but I have tapered from exceedingly high doses of benzos - they're a bit moreish to me ;-)

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Also - I forgot to mention.

You really should NOT be taking diphenhydramine/promethazine etc with benzos as they act as CNS depressants...

I'm on Piriton and Cetirizine. Not sure if those are what you are mentioning, but I confirmed with the pharmicist that the combo is fine. I've never felt this drowsy in my life and I've also never taken Valium before so I can't imagine that they're not connected. My theory would be the antihistamines and Valium together causing it but just not sure why it wouldn't happen from the start

Also it hard not worry if you say my combo can cause CNS depression as I just read that can result in a coma/death :/

Nah cetirizine etc are fine as they only slightly cross the blood-brain barrier so aren't sedative as the ones I mentioned.

My apologies if I worred you - I was merely trying to mitigate risk..

The problem with diazepam is that it has a really long half life, so as you take it your body already has maintained some of (or the majority of) your previous dose (the active metabolite anyway..)

Your GP may suggest switching you to a different benzo (which has a shorter half-life).

I see. I'm supposed to completely stop on Tuesday anyway. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Amani View Post
    I'm on Piriton and Cetirizine. Not sure if those are what you are mentioning, but I confirmed with the pharmicist that the combo is fine. I've never felt this drowsy in my life and I've also never taken Valium before so I can't imagine that they're not connected. My theory would be the antihistamines and Valium together causing it but just not sure why it wouldn't happen from the start

Also it hard not worry if you say my combo can cause CNS depression as I just read that can result in a coma/death :/
    I would suggest going back to the interaction warnings on the other thread. If that is what you are feeling, then it's possibly the reason.

The pharmacist said they were ok, which is the right thing to do as they know more than GP's anyway, but that doesn't mean it won't happen as there are documented cases to have an interaction warning. It just might be it is happening to you and something needs withdrawing.

If you have started your SSRI too, it may cause it or increase it because the interaction is similar. So, maybe a compounding effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information