Thread: Overcoming anxiety without medication!!

Question Overcoming anxiety without medication!!

I went to my GP this week seeking help with my panic attacks and anxiety. I now have my name down for CBT which I'm happy with as I think it will help ,however she wanted to prescribe anti depressants which Im not happy with. Im not depressed just very anxious and stressed.

It makes me more anxious thinking that I have to take them (I think this may be the start of a health anxiety- not sure ?) I have diazepam for periods when my panic becomes unbarable (nght times) which I will take as a last resort.

I have some questions which Im hoping may be answered.

1. Can anxiety be caused by chemical imbalances how effective are antidepressants for panic attacks?

2.Do people recover from panic attacks and anxiety from the sole use of complimentary therapies?

I would be interested to hear about any one who has overcome their difficulties without the use of prescribed medication from their GP.
    I more inclined to work with the complimentary therapies but Im wondering if im wasting my time
    Thank you xx

Re: Overcoming anxiety without medication!!

Hi Pixette,

1. Several of the SSRI antidepressant meds are also licensed for panic disorder and can reduce panic attacks by mood alteration.

They are a means to help you feel well enough to tackle the isuses, not a long term stand alone cure though.

2. Many people overcome panic disorder by therapy.
    CBT being the most researched effective therapy but hypnotherapy is also popular. Using herbal and flower remedies are also an aveneue that many find helpful. If you read down our alternative therapy section , you'll get an idea of what else is out there .

You might want to glance through the NICE guidelines which are posted under remedies or self help on the left of your page .

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Hi - I was on antidepressents for panic attacks for a couple of months but came off - I still have panic attacks - mainly I hyperventilate and get hot and dizzy - I use rescue remedy when I want a quick calm down (squirted on my tongue) I take Kalms if I know I am in for a very stressful day and I do relaxation CD to calm my breathing every day . I had 3 months of CBT which helped teach me my "hot thought" which was that as soon as I got hot and breathless I panic and want to "get out" of wherever I am coz I am trapped - I had to learn how to teach myself that I was not trapped - that it was normal to feel hot and breathless in a busy department store of restaurant - sounds so easy now I write it down but in practice its bloody hard!! I still battle with periods of intense anxiety but I try to drop my shoulders, breathe from my belly and think calm thoughts to myself! Good luck! Wenjoy x

Hi there Pixette,

I took Seroxat for 6 months 3 years ago at my worst point but decided I didn't want to stay on them. Ever since I have used natural remedies and I do find they help. I do have diazapam in my drawer but haven't used them it's just nice to know they are there if needed.

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X

Hey there,

Lots of people have had succsses with managing their anxiety and panic with more natural remedies and therapy. I would suggest that you go with what feels right for you, what you are comfortable with, and stand by your decision. Take care.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my query.

Hi Pixette

I can understand your concern about being prescribed and taking certain medications, but I think sometimes that people let their anxiety about taking meds hinder their recovery. Almost always, for serious conditions, a combination of treatments ( both drugs and psychological ) I think are most beneficial. I take one of the SSRIs which has an anti-anxiety element in it. Particularly if your condition has become long standing before you sought treatment- you may NEED medication to address the imbalance of chemicals. Psychological methods such as Mindfulness (an simple easy concept, but very difficult to maintain!...) is usually very effective once you get to grips with it. I hope the CBT helps. Best wishes.

Purple Llama.

Thread Information