Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to feel healthy again.

Struggling to feel healthy again.

So having just came off of what feels like the millionth bout of extreme health anxiety again over the past 2 years, I am trying to get everything back to normal but am struggling to feel healthy and well inside.

I haven't been to the gym for 5 weeks now but am planning on returning on Monday and I know for a fact that once I get back into that, despite the aches and pains that will accompany it, I know it will make me feel better.

I went to the GP again yesterday and spoke to a doctor I had seen before who seemed to empathise with my anxiety, and I requested medication and she actually gave me a prescription for Setraline. The only problem is that after reading about the potential side effects, unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can bring myself to take it. I have never in my life seen such an extensive list of not even rare, but COMMON side effects accompanying a medication before. So that's that.

Anyway, the point of this post is, I was wondering what things you guys do, or recommend that just make you feel healthier and well in general? My plan so far is get the gym going again, and also start eating much much more healthily. I find that these things help massively in a psychological way as well as physical.
    Is there anything else that anyone can recommend? The reason I ask is although I've been given the all clear on my latest worry (spinal tumour), I just still feel generally unwell. I feel tired, my back still hurts, I have low motivation or drive... I just feel crappy but I really want to just break out of this and start actually feeling 31 instead of 91.

Re: Struggling to feel healthy again.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm 26 and in good health, yet I never feel completely healthy.

But I've been interested in more holistic approaches lately and trying to take care of my body more naturally (I'm like you, I'm kind of afraid of anti-anxiety meds but let me clarify that I have NO problem with people taking them).

- Water: I never realized how dehydrated I was all the time because I never drink that much water and drink a good bit of coffee in the morning. Now every time I feel a headache twinge coming on, or dry throat, I drink an entire glass of water because I know it means I'm probably getting dehydrated.

- Meditation: Especially at night, I started using free YouTube guided meditations or the app called Breathe, to wind down when I feel really anxious. It at least gives me something else to think about for a bit.

- Exercise: Just brisk walking, especially outside this winter, has helped me clear my mind.

- Essential oils: Love lavender at night and eucalyptus in the morning, I put a few drops in the bottom of my shower, or with the lavender oil, sometimes I rub that directly on my chest or under my nose (some oils are safe to put directly on skin and others are not, just make sure you research)

Hope you find something that helps you!

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."
    William Ralph Inge

Quote Originally Posted by KayeS View Post
    I went to the GP again yesterday and spoke to a doctor I had seen before who seemed to empathise with my anxiety, and I requested medication and she actually gave me a prescription for Setraline. The only problem is that after reading about the potential side effects, unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can bring myself to take it. I have never in my life seen such an extensive list of not even rare, but COMMON side effects accompanying a medication before. So that's that.
    Been there when I first started Citalopram. Unfortunately, if you look up the side effects for ALL antidepressants, you will see an equally long and worrying list. Very few mental health meds are low side effect profile and the ones that are less likely, are more expensive e.g. Pregabalin.

So, is it your anxiety saying no way to the meds? If so, you will find many of us on here, and everywhere, who have had the same worries as you. I might not have HA but I am very symptom focussed (physical) so these meds were hard for me but I got into them. So, can you.

It is likely you will see side effects and how your HA manifests will probably be a struggle (it may not) but people on here will support you through it.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you are willing to accept a few hard weeks for the possible chance of a better time afterwards?

Are you sleeping enough?

Quote Originally Posted by artist12 View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I'm 26 and in good health, yet I never feel completely healthy.

But I've been interested in more holistic approaches lately and trying to take care of my body more naturally (I'm like you, I'm kind of afraid of anti-anxiety meds but let me clarify that I have NO problem with people taking them).

- Water: I never realized how dehydrated I was all the time because I never drink that much water and drink a good bit of coffee in the morning. Now every time I feel a headache twinge coming on, or dry throat, I drink an entire glass of water because I know it means I'm probably getting dehydrated.

- Meditation: Especially at night, I started using free YouTube guided meditations or the app called Breathe, to wind down when I feel really anxious. It at least gives me something else to think about for a bit.

- Exercise: Just brisk walking, especially outside this winter, has helped me clear my mind.

- Essential oils: Love lavender at night and eucalyptus in the morning, I put a few drops in the bottom of my shower, or with the lavender oil, sometimes I rub that directly on my chest or under my nose (some oils are safe to put directly on skin and others are not, just make sure you research)

Hope you find something that helps you!

Thank you for the reply

I think I could definitely be drinking more water now that I think about it. I used to drink a lot when everything was good and I was training 5 days a week and eating well but lately I've just lost care with it all and often notice I'm really thirsty...

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Been there when I first started Citalopram. Unfortunately, if you look up the side effects for ALL antidepressants, you will see an equally long and worrying list. Very few mental health meds are low side effect profile and the ones that are less likely, are more expensive e.g. Pregabalin.

So, is it your anxiety saying no way to the meds? If so, you will find many of us on here, and everywhere, who have had the same worries as you. I might not have HA but I am very symptom focussed (physical) so these meds were hard for me but I got into them. So, can you.

It is likely you will see side effects and how your HA manifests will probably be a struggle (it may not) but people on here will support you through it.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you are willing to accept a few hard weeks for the possible chance of a better time afterwards?
    It's definitely because of anxiety over the side effects. Whenever I get prescribed any kind of medication I always read over the little leaflet included in the box and look at all the side effects, but the ones for Setraline... Jeez. I've never seen such an extensive list! I just don't think I can bring myself to take them. I might just stick with the CBT alone for now and if I see no improvement, or things getting worse, then at least I have the medication now and will consider taking it then....

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Urusainaa View Post
    Are you sleeping enough?
    Lately actually I'm sleeping, but FEEL as if I'm not. I wake up exhausted still and just feel groggy and out of it all day :/

I've been on Citalopram and now Duloxetine. I can assure you the list looks little different. The Meds board is a better place to ask about them though.

The Sert board is pretty active and there is a long running support thread on there so I'm sure they will help you.

BUT you are being confronted with the issue we are have with these meds, get worse before get better.

Side effects are reported because by law they have to show them but that doesn't mean you will get them. I can't say I've ever had more than a few off the entire list each time.

I just started sertraline a couple of weeks ago and have done citalopram in the past. Being pregnant was worried about this new med but it has been fine I promise. A little bit of anxiety and not much else. I can promise it's worth it xx

I just hate that I've finally got some medication but can't bring myself to take it. Anything neurological really worries me.

I was given Zoloft after my first heart attack when I fell into depression. TBH, I didn't read all the negative stuff, I just took it as directed. I didn't notice a difference but those around me did and it was a positive improvement in my mood and attitude. The meds along with therapy helped get me out of the hole I was in. I really didn't have any sides effects to speak of other than a dodgy stomach once in a while.

Steve, after what you've been through the last year, you really should consider the meds. The worst that can happen is a couple more weeks of anxiety (which you're already dealing with) and they don't work but the positive is that they just may help you get your life back.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by KayeS View Post
    I just hate that I've finally got some medication but can't bring myself to take it. Anything neurological really worries me.
    Hi, I totally hear what you are saying. I was also totally against trying SSRI's after reading all the side affects.

However, I've tried them all - truthfully they didn't actually help me, but they certainly didn't make me any worse.

I got to the point where I was so fed up of feeling the way I was feeling I woke up one day and just thought "you know what - I owe it to myself to just give it a go, what have I got to lose".

If you feel that you owe it to youself to try and give it a go. Then I assure you, it will either help you feel better, or atleast you can say you tried.

All the best!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information