Thread: Escitalopram (Lexapro) and Diazepam: How much is too much?

Escitalopram (Lexapro) and Diazepam: How much is too much?

I was prescribed 10 mg escit each day which i have been taking at night. I have also been supplementing with diazepam to get me through until the other kicks in. My question is, originally my psych said I could have up to 15 mg a day of Valium if I need it. I have been needing it lately. Only been on it for a week or two. My psych prescribed the Diaz before the escit. Should I still be taking up to 15 mg of the benzo or is that too much in conjunction with the SSRI? Now I'm worried that I'm over medicating. But I feel okay. Tired. But glad not to be anxious as hell! Thanks in advance. And of course I would think about this right before bed instead of during the day when I could ask my pharmacist!

Re: Escitalopram (Lexapro) and Diazepam: How much is too much?

Hi there,

My understanding and experience is there is no interaction or issue with escitalopram and diazepam so you will be fine.

15 mg seems a high dose to me (I'm no expert!) of diazepam, but it's probably fine short term. Definitely only take it when you need it as the beneficial effects wear off a bit of you become tolerant.

Hope this helps and the new meds work well

Please don't worry about the dose. Drugs.com says this about Diazepam:

Usual Adult Dose for Anxiety
    Oral: 2 to 10 mg 2 to 4 times a day.
    IM or IV: 2 to 5 mg (moderate anxiety) or 5 to 10 mg (severe anxiety) for one dose. May repeat in 3 to 4 hours, if necessary

So, it's possible to take a lot more per day than you are.

The Moderate interaction shows the possible side effects of the two meds together so if you start to experience them, you could ask. However, those side effects may even be ones listed against your SSRI so it may be nothing even if you did. The leaflet will state them if they can be.

Okay... Thanks guys!!!

Thread Information