Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey With Escitalopram

My Journey With Escitalopram

Have never been on an SSRI before so unsure of what to expect... but here goes nothing!

I have been prescribed 10 mg Escitalopram

Day 1
    I took one half (because of fear of losing control or feeling funny) in the morning, and then the other half at night. No side affects whatsoever, and actually felt a little more "up" than usual. (I'm also supplementing with Diazepam because of the pharmacaphobia I'm facing here)

Day 2
    Felt a bit off all day. Didn't sleep well the night before. Felt like lounging around all day. Took whole 10mg before bed. Still taking the Diaz as well.

Day 3
    As I sit here typing, I woke at 11:30 in a panic, (its now 12:43) feeling a little off and heart racing, but got over it quickly on my own. I have not noticed any visible side effects other than the lack of sleep. A lot of the symptoms could be that I am facing my fears of this medication. Going to try to walk on the treadmill today to combat the fatigue I've been feeling.

Will keep you all posted if anything else should occur!

Re: My Journey With Escitalopram

Good luck on your journey!

I'm surprised you weren't started on 5mg for a week and then up to 10 mg as this can lessen side effects.

Hopefully you won't have many side effects as plenty of people don't.

Just remember if you do feel more anxious, it's not you, it's the medication and you may need a little extra diazepam temporarily.

good reading, keep at it

Day 3: (Continued)

At the end of a long day (I'm a dance instructor) and I am big time fatigued to say the least. I am normally naturally tired (body and mind) but the medicine (escit or diaz) definitely made me more tired than usual. I found it very hard to keep going but had to dig down deep to keep myself motivated. When I would get moving I would wake up but sitting down to change shoes I will get tired again. Other than the fatigue, I haven't noticed anything else very different. Anxiety is still there. The diaz I believe has helped me not to imagine symptoms. Have experienced insomnia big time the past few days and even when taken with Diaz. My pharmacist has instructed me as to how to work up to taking it in the morning rather than right before bed. So by Wednesday, I will be taking it of a morning. Other than that, just trucking along! Will keep you all posted! xx

Citalopram is known to cause insomnia, I wonder if this ones does too? Some people on Citalopram find shifting it to the morning stops this, although it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

I've been on this drug for 5 weeks now... I still feel sick in the mornings (I take it at night)... I don't have much of an appetite.... I don't get clenching jaws anymore though... But I still just feel unwell.. and I've had a horrible cold as well..... I'm still waiting for this to kick in... so hopefully sometime soon.. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by KJC1990 View Post
    I've been on this drug for 5 weeks now... I still feel sick in the mornings (I take it at night)... I don't have much of an appetite.... I don't get clenching jaws anymore though... But I still just feel unwell.. and I've had a horrible cold as well..... I'm still waiting for this to kick in... so hopefully sometime soon.. Good Luck
    Thanks I definitely feel unwell. Not myself. I am usually very energetic (even with the anxiety) and outgoing. I feel like I've got the flu or something and I just want to sleep! My belly is very upset this morning and it was the morning before as well. I always take with food so it's weird. Can't wait for it to get into my system and work its magic. Haha. Hopefully. Staying positive and trying to stay active! hugs to all of y'all for hanging in here with me. Starting Day 4

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Citalopram is known to cause insomnia, I wonder if this ones does too? Some people on Citalopram find shifting it to the morning stops this, although it doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    My pharmacist said it was a common SE along with upset belly. But if that's all I have to deal with, I'm thanking my lucky stars. Haha

Nearing the end of Day 4, folks. Another good day! Helped look after my 3 month old niece at my mother's house and she wanted to scream the majority of the day--sensitive tummy we believe. Through all of that, I was calm and cool. And thats the crazy part, when there are lots of things going on I am fine. It's when I get alone, I don't have distractions, I get beside myself with anxiety! My brain runs away! I'm not big on crowds and I have safe places and people. Anyway..

I took less Diazepam today, and really I didn't realize that I wasn't needing it. But about 4:30 I hit a wall. Exhausted and major fatigued. I deal with hypoglycemia so I made sure to eat and drink a bunch of water. I was able to sit down and rest at work.

The main question I have is....
    I know these types of meds can make you feel fatigued but I have noticed that when dancing I get out of breath easier and I just feel like I can't hardly go. Very unlike me. I didn't get a nap today because of baby being here but still worried that (now I have a new fear) that I have heart trouble. LOL! My mother says it is probabaly weird for me for my heart to beat normal as it has recently been (before meds) 90-100 just resting--no joke! Guess I just need reassuring. Other than the fatigue, I'm doing okay! Will keep checking in!

Ah, and I took half pill of escit at lunch and by tomorrow morning I will have transitione to mornings.. Hopefully this will help with the insomnia!

Oh yeah, and (after asking pharmacist) I have begun taking a Multivitamin gummie twice a day. I was hoping that this will help with the energy! I also have blood work and checkup scheduled for Thursday. It will be good to check in with my doc.
    Last edited by the_anxious_mind; 20-01-16 at 00:37.

It's great to hear you have coped well without needing as much Diazepam. Right now this med won't be doing anything for you so being able to cope without the Diazepam too is all your own strength.

Right now this med is flooding the space with more Serotonin in your brain so you may notice things. It takes some time to adjust to it and then the side effects should go away. So, if you notice new symptoms whilst in the side effect window, chalk it up to that and just make sure they go once you get clear of that window. If they don't go, you may not be suited that specific med but they usually do go.

They can make is feel a bit sedated and this might impact on physical & mental performance. It's just something to keep an eye on but as long as it's not debilitating, push through it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It's great to hear you have coped well without needing as much Diazepam. Right now this med won't be doing anything for you so being able to cope without the Diazepam too is all your own strength.

Right now this med is flooding the space with more Serotonin in your brain so you may notice things. It takes some time to adjust to it and then the side effects should go away. So, if you notice new symptoms whilst in the side effect window, chalk it up to that and just make sure they go once you get clear of that window. If they don't go, you may not be suited that specific med but they usually do go.

They can make is feel a bit sedated and this might impact on physical & mental performance. It's just something to keep an eye on but as long as it's not debilitating, push through it.
    Thanks, Terry!

Day 5 in the books... Great day! Had all 3 of my nieces, 6, 2, and 3 months. Only took 7.5 mg of diaz during the whole day. I have had some huge revelations during the process of facing my debilitating fear of medication (of any sort) and that has been awesome! Not as tired today (I chalk that up to less Diaz) and of course, as planned, took the Escit this morning instead of at night. I slept like a baby last night so that was awesome!!

You mentioned it would take time to adjust and there was a window for side effects. I know it could be 2-6 weeks before I feel different but what is the window for side effects? The same? My pharmacist said that I would have known after taking one or two if I was going to have a bad reaction. The headaches weren't as bad today and my nausea was gone. ANd how long before I know that this medicine just isn't for me? Thanks ahead for all of your information and time it takes to respond!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information