Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey With Escitalopram

Re: My Journey With Escitalopram

Yeah, we tend to go by 4-6 weeks on here for the starting side effects. Fluoxetine can take a couple of weeks longer though because of it's unique length and how it works at a certain stage on the brain. Otherwise, 4-6 weeks should be enough. However, that doesn't mean it is a slog all the way through that and whilst I struggled at the start on Citalopram, I found by week 3 it was decreasing. On Duloxetine it was much more intense but thankfully by day 11 it dropped off a lot.

SSRI's work in 2 stages. The first stage is that filling of the "space" with more Serotonin and then after about a month studies of some have shown there has been a decrease in the holes in the receptor sites where it would normally pass through. The latter is the real aim.

I found with Citalopram that it was 2-3 months to feel much. Some people find results faster and some even longer, it's so individual as ever. I think you have to pass through the side effect window first, some people seem to think they should be feeling better before then but that's unlikely.

If you go the 4-6 weeks and still have the side effects, then a chat with your doctor is worth it. They may advise a switch as some people find some meds just don't work for them or just give them side effects only.

I found the first thing that hit me was the nausea and dizziness side. This makes sense anyway because the majority of your Serotonin is in the gut, where you have many more receptors. My first med, Citalopram, has been seen to interact with a specific gut receptor that tied in with the nausea hence why they say take them with food which has been shown to reduce the effects. I was also incredibly hungry but couldn't actually eat.

So, some of the side effects are likely because your gut has to deal with it too. I found this passed really quickly though (about 2-3 days) and moved onto nausea, mood swings, etc.

It's certainly true that you will feel the side effects pretty quickly. If you had an allergic reaction, you would feel that far quicker than most side effects.

So, you haven't had a bad reaction, really you are doing very well, but once past the 4-6 weeks, these new issues should go.

Day 6: Feeling good. Actually spent most of it in the ER with my grandmother who suffers from what I deal with. She is more of a manic type, with diabetes and absolutely no regard for her health. She also over-medicates (thus the reason I feared going on a controlled substance or even an anti-depressant) and is not self aware WHATSOEVER. So it was a very long day. But even through all of it, I was fairly level headed. I even got out on occasion to go in Walgreens and shop around for necessities without issue. At this point, I have little to no news about the Lexapro (Escitalopram).

I will backtrack and say that I did go to the Dr. appt I had scheduled this morning and had my bloodwork done. I had feared I was pass out as I had not eaten breakfast (usual routine at 6:30 in the morning) and my appointment was for 8:30. I took half a diaz and it all went away. I was able to calmly go through with my physical exam and my bloodwork--usually terrified of needles but faced it so level headedly! They decided to check everything, drawing 3-4 vials of blood (mostly just to calm my health anxieties) including liver, kidneys, hormones, CBC, thyroid, etc etc etc. My new doctor is an absolute miracle. I also last minute just blurted out something I would have NEVER done! "Can you also check out these moles and bumps that have been bothering me?" (Something that has kept me awake many nights and been the cause for many tears, meltdowns, jitters and stayings up all night in the past--yet I never wanted to have them checked for fear of skin cancer!) Proud to say that she checked them all and gave me an all clear. SO PROUD of myself and very thankful for good results. I am also very surprised that I am not fearing for the blood test results. I am so glad that I am facing this HA and I am on to recovery. I realize I may always live with anxiety but I am learning to cope and face what I used to never be able to face. As we would (jokingly) say in the South, yee-haw! And most of all, praise the Lord for my new found courage and thankful for all of my new friends here who give me so much strength and support!! Hugs and prayers of peace to you all!!!

Wow, sounds like you're making real progress! And the good news is that it's all YOU as the meds won't have had a chance to really kick in yet. Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Shazamataz View Post
    Wow, sounds like you're making real progress! And the good news is that it's all YOU as the meds won't have had a chance to really kick in yet. Yay
    Thanks for your post!! Staring day 7 and we have been absolutely pelted with snow here in the Southeastern US. I had a few minor fears this morning that if something were to happen no one could get to me. I know this is ridiculous cause I am in perfectly fine health. I took half a diaz and laid back down. The snow is really piling up here and almost everything has shut down!!! Its 6:30 in the morning here and has been going strong since 3:30...Looks like it will carry on like this for a while. We hardly ever get snow, so not many know how to handle it--even at an inch or two--no joke!!
    Last edited by the_anxious_mind; 22-01-16 at 12:54.

Nearing the end of day 7. Not much to report! SO proud that I have stuck with this medicine a week--and feeling so excited that just a week ago I was so scared to put a pill to my mouth my throat would tighten and I would start to bawl uncontrollably with pity for myself! For anyone with pharmacaphobia I would suggest taking the leap of faith and trying medication. If you have tried everything else but still suffer, and have the help of your GP or PSY, take the leap and just try it. At the point I was at, I had everything to lose if I didn't. My life, my marriage, my family, and my job were at stake if I didn't show that I was willing to actually take a chance to get better. I did it and I am so proud. No, I am not better yet. But I am better in the aspect that I have faced something that has plagued me for years. Thank you all for sticking with me through this! Hugs to you all!

Glad to read that you are hanging in there. It is worth it in the long run a lot of the time.
    Where in the Southeast are you? I'm in CT and we're waiting for the snow to come tomorrow, but hear it's been so much worse down south!!

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    Glad to read that you are hanging in there. It is worth it in the long run a lot of the time.
    Where in the Southeast are you? I'm in CT and we're waiting for the snow to come tomorrow, but hear it's been so much worse down south!!
    We live in KY! And people are plum stupid when it first starts falling. We will have people off in ditches in a matter of minutes--I guess cause they think they can just drive normally on ice! Its just awful! The first flake falls and the shelves are ransacked. Chaos! Haha!

That's funny! Are states like yours prepared for snow like this - with salt, sand, etc? I can't imagine what it's like! Last year there was a shortage of salt because of all the snow up here.

My work still makes us drive in when theres 12 inches ... so I just call out sick

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    That's funny! Are states like yours prepared for snow like this - with salt, sand, etc? I can't imagine what it's like! Last year there was a shortage of salt because of all the snow up here.

My work still makes us drive in when theres 12 inches ... so I just call out sick
    Oh my gosh.... I can't even imgaine!!!! If there is even 1 inch the buses can't get out and school is cancelled in the county. No kidding...

We are equipped with salt and they will treat the roads the night before. They also have trucks to scrape but its just not one of those things people are not ready for and when it happens it just throws everything out of whack. haha

Starting Day 8, by the way. Woke up just feeling off. I took a half a diaz and trying to get ahold of myself. Wish me luck today! Thank goodness its the weekend!

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Ate breakfast, and did a little writing. Coming around. Took my Lex (Escit) on schedule at 9 AM. Sticking with it. Nothing big to note... Headaches have subsided, thank goodness, and I haven't had as much trouble with the nausea. During the first few days, the headaches were horrendous. I felt like I had the flu and just almost couldn't manage through the day. Starting week 2 and it seems that i have left the headaches behind... for now. Will keep writing just cause it is therapeutic for me!

Ending day 8. About to play cards with the family! Had a crap day. Took a whole 5mg Valium and slept for like 3 hours or more. Feeling alright now, but had a bad anxiety day. Wouldn't contribute it to anything other than stress and not drinking enough water/eating right. Had a lot to deal with my grandmother lately and it has been a constant stress. I think it finally caught up with me today! Send me good vibes. Hoping to have some fun tonight and just relax! Hugs to all of you!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information