Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-ray soon and petrified

X-ray soon and petrified

Hi all

New to this site but really really scared!!!

About a fortnight ago I visited my GP as I developed an annoying cough that was getting worse, my throat was aching and so was annoying me. I was a smoker (stopped 2.5 weeks ago) but during the festive period I was smoking so much more than normal and changed brands.

Anyway, went to see to the dr and he said I had pharyngitis (sore throat), he also said he would like to send me for an x-ray to rule any nasties out as I was freaking out and thinking I have lung cancer. The Dr told me my lungs sound clear and there is no wheezing. I was given a 10 day high dose antibiotic which I have finished 3 days ago.

Last weekend I rushed to A&E as I believed I couldn't breathe, I was crying and panicking, I spoke to a Dr about my fears and she listened to my lungs and asked me a few questions and said I am 35 and my symptoms sound more like anxiety, bearing in mind my Dr said he would be very surprised if my x-ray came back with something nasty he said for my piece of mind and his but he is almost sure nothing sinister is there.

Since then I have been struggling to breathe, my throat feels tight and wheezy including burning, my back is tense but the coughing stopped for 10 days and seems my throat now is dry wanting to cough. I am continually clearing my throat, feeling my throat and breathing in deeply, listening to my lungs.....

My x-ray is on Wed this week and every time I think of this I start shaking and not sure I can do this.... and hear those dreaded words...'you have the big C'

Any advise would be appreciated, so scared

Re: X-ray soon and petrified

A 35 year old with lung cancer? VERY unlikely. More likely its anxiety.

http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety...sthma-anxiety/

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I am petrified to the point I am losing my breathe just thinking about it. Thank you for the link, I will read it soon

Your GP is just being very thorough here, and the x-ray (I suspect) is purely to rule out any infection on your chest that may be related to the coughing...nothing more. Surprising seeing as he said your chest sounded clear, but he is just being ultra cautious, probably due to your worry over this, to be honest.

The trouble with worries like this is that we get in such a stew that we then develop physical anxiety symptoms, like the ones you describe now, that then add fuel to the fire by making us think these are the actual symptoms of what we are worried about!

They are not. All of the stuff you describe just sounds like high anxiety.

Try if you can to stay active and occupied while you are waiting for the day of the x-ray to come. Sitting and dwelling on the 'what ifs?' are what fuels anxiety....anticipating that you are going to have a poor outcome....which you will not!

Distraction is key when this kind of anxiety is churning. I know it sounds impossible, but it can be done. Anticipatory anxiety is the worst, and instead of focusing on the negatives like 'they are going to tell me I have C', try to replace that with 'this is just to rule out an infection, nothing more' and 'it is all going to be fine'.

It will be, that I for one am sure of. xxx

Hi Debs

Thank you for your lovely email.

Ever since I started this coughing I have googled so many different scenario's and caused myself to be come breathless when walking up stairs as that is one of the symptoms, my mind is playing tricks on me.

My Dr sounded very positive that my lungs are fine but he said for piece of mind as I think he could see my hands shaking and my heartbeat was through the roof...

How do I deal with the anxiety of waiting for the results though

Quote Originally Posted by Kay8010 View Post
    Hi Debs

Thank you for your lovely email....

...How do I deal with the anxiety of waiting for the results though
    You are very welcome!

Yep, that is a problem too with anxiety. First the actual test, and then the results.

It is kind of the same thing really as before that is the only thing that really helps in my opionion, that being keeping busy and distracted, and not giving your mind time to focus 24/7 on the results, and what may or may not happen.

Anxiety is such a pain as it is relentless with things like this. The key is to try to divert your focus elsewhere, if you can, though I know how hard that is. I don't think that your doctor would be saying the things he has already said to you - that he is not at all worried - if he genuinely thought there was a worry here.

Stay positive! xx

I know its a vicious circle going on in my head, its the phone call from the doctor the day after or two that would seriously just freak me out with the results.

I was asking my Dr for re-assurance all the time and then the A&E Dr on call too said my symptoms suggest anxiety but doctors are not always right and them saying it might not be makes me think that if they felt that way they would not send me, its driving me crazy!!

Have x-ray today at 10am. So frightened, not sure I want or can do this!!! My heart is beating so fast and my head is messed with worry!

Let us know how you got on.

Just been. Have to wait a week for the results. Ive asked for an urgent result to be sent to my Dr. They said I could try later today or tomorrow morning. No im petrified of the phone ringing with the dreaded news!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information