Thread: Scared to try Lexapro again

Scared to try Lexapro again

I was prescribed Lexapro almost a month ago when my anxiety was at an all time high. I took it for 3 days and it was a living nightmare. I felt like my brain was being blocked and I couldn't concentrate and function at all, this resulted in me having panic attacks and shaking all over. After those 3 terrible days I went off of it, silly I know because I know you're supposed to let it work for at least 2 weeks but I was feeling so bad. Now, all I'm taking is Ativan and although it's good for short term, I still feel depressed and still have extremely bad HA. Sometimes I feel like my anxiety/depression switches up, I can feel extremely anxious one day and the next feel fatigued and have crying spells and terrible thoughts which make me feel like I'm losing my mind. I can't do the thing I want without feeling terrible.

I'm thinking maybe I should give it a try again? I had a severe anxiety attack last night for the first time in about 3 weeks & still depressed and never want to get out of bed. I'm starting to think, now that I'm aware what my body does when I'm suffering from anxiety, maybe I won't be that bad like I once was when I first started taking the lexapro? I told myself with therapy and thinking positive I don't need medication but it's been over a month and still feel bad

Re: Scared to try Lexapro again

Hi,

Sorry that you are feeling so bad right now.

I have been on Escitalopram (Lexapro or Cipralex here in the UK) on and off since 2003, for depression, GAD and panic disorder. Like you, upon first starting it, I had horrendous side effects. I was in the middle of a breakdown at the time, and my anxiety went from severe to off the scale! Really weird thoughts, feeling spaced out, sweating, nauseous, and the list goes on.

Unfortunately, heightening of anxiety or worsening of symptoms is one of the most common side effects of first starting meds. It is kind of like a bridge that you have to cross over, in order to get away from the storm and reach the other side, to a much calmer place.....I know that sounds a little hippy, but it is totally true!

It took me a good couple of weeks on 10mg a day to really start feeling so much better. I know the starting period is tough - I have done it twice now, as I came off meds after many years of taking it, but my anxiety returned terribly, so back on Escitalopram I went, sadly - and both times I had side effects.

The med itself is EXCELLENT though. I cannot praise it highly enough. If you are able to gather all of your strength and might, I promise you that these effects and feelings will not last, and you will get through them.

I also had therapy, which of course has it's place in helping mental health issues in the sense that it examines the reasons why you are so anxious or depressed, etc. and gets to the root causes, but the trouble with therapy is - at least in my experience - it really does not address the sheer terror and physical effects of acute anxiety. For me personally, the only thing that helped me was the med.

As you mention, you now have a heads up as to how you may feel when you first start the med, which will definitely be an advantage for you, hon. If you can be strong in the face of it, you will get through the other side! xx

Thread Information