Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of death

Fear of death

Hi everyone.

For the last 6 months or so maybe more I have had a constant fear of death every single day. I don't know how to deal with it. I don't like to talk about it. I suffer with really bad anxiety and I can't get no help. I have no faith in doctors. Councillors have fobbed me off. I try to deal with it as best as I can but this is really hard it's everyday..I'm hoping that this will disappear at some point.it's kind of taking over now.I don't talk to anyone about this just kinda bottle it up and try to take my mind of it and sometimes I do but then it comes back. I don't want to be on meds I just want to be normal like everyone else just getting on with life and not a care. Anyone else feel this way?
    Last edited by kelly12; 22-01-16 at 20:33. Reason: Spelling error

Re: Fear of death

Hello,

I think that a lot of people fear death. In western culture it isn't really discussed a whole lot. If you broach the topic of death you might be accused of being morbid.

Personally I suppose that I am afraid of dying even though it is inevitable for me, the same as it is inevitable for everyone else who is alive and for those who are not yet born even. I often reflect and think that being in my early 40's I am very possibly more than half way through my natural life.

In your case it sounds as if you're maybe a little bit obsessed with thoughts of dying however. What exactly is it that you are afraid of? Do you have any spiritual or religious beliefs? Are you in good physical health?

Perhaps starting a meditation practice and trying to practice mindfulness might help with your anxiety. I suffer with anxiety myself but at the moment it is very manageable.

Apart from the Anxiety I've had since I was young my health is ok.. it's the fact that it's going to happen and how . I used to think bout it off and on before but it hasn't been this bad that it's stuck with me.

I do too Kelly, you are not alone.

I suffer with this too.... Once worse than now. I have started medication and I am hoping that my chemical imbalance will balance out and I will start thinking normally again. If you have exhausted other efforts, please consider medication. Forever I would not even consider it as I feared I would not be myself anymore. I had depersonalization and derealization. I feared so bad that it would make this worse. I am currently working on Day 7 of Lexapro (an SSRI) and I supplement with Valium. I have found that medication has helped to become the normal me because with anxiety I can't be who I was made to be! I also have bawled over not being a normal person but those of us with anxiety or phobias or depression are not normal--we are very unique! Its taken forever but I have come to terms with my anxiety and realized that it is kind of a gift. Because I can reach out and help others that struggle like I do! Hugs to you! Consider what I said about the medicine... I have been where you are!

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Check out my Escitalopram (lexapro) diary that I posted. It has kept up with the process of me facing my fears.

I don't know why but I'm scared of taking my medicine . I was given Lexapro and Ativan to take for my panic attacks and anxiety. I'm scared that the medicine is going to have a negative effect on me or make me much worse I think my anxiety its making me think to much on it but I still don't know what to do.

Does anybody have and tips or advice?

I suffer from obsessional thoughts about about death and dying and unfortunately, as we all know, it's an insoluble problem.

Because of this I tend to approach it as a symptom of my depression, rather than dealing with it as a kind of existential problem. Yes talking about it can help, and it's true we have grown unaccustomed to death in the west, but ultimately it's when I'm happy, active and engaged in my life that these thoughts are furthest from my mind.

If find only antidote to fear of death is a good life and that means for me focusing all my energies on getting better and treating my illness.

I could not have put it better Yorkshire born.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anxious_mind View Post
    I suffer with this too.... Once worse than now. I have started medication and I am hoping that my chemical imbalance will balance out and I will start thinking normally again. If you have exhausted other efforts, please consider medication. Forever I would not even consider it as I feared I would not be myself anymore. I had depersonalization and derealization. I feared so bad that it would make this worse. I am currently working on Day 7 of Lexapro (an SSRI) and I supplement with Valium. I have found that medication has helped to become the normal me because with anxiety I can't be who I was made to be! I also have bawled over not being a normal person but those of us with anxiety or phobias or depression are not normal--we are very unique! Its taken forever but I have come to terms with my anxiety and realized that it is kind of a gift. Because I can reach out and help others that struggle like I do! Hugs to you! Consider what I said about the medicine... I have been where you are!

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Check out my Escitalopram (lexapro) diary that I posted. It has kept up with the process of me facing my fears.
    There's no EVIDENCE that a chemical imbalance causes mental illness. The data doesn't support it. No blood tests, scans, saliva swabs or whatever else doctors do corroborates opinions by doctors that a patient has a mental illness and no genetic markers, or sections of DNA, have been identified as causing mental illness. In any case genetics isn't just about what DNA you have, it's how often that DNA is transcribed (into proteins like hormones or enzymes) and under what circumstances, and how often and how much. Scientists know that dopamine makes people feel better and so does serotonin. But so do lots of other things. And do 'chemical imbalances' cause mental illness or does mental illness cause the chemical imbalances? No one has proved anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbaker View Post
    I don't know why but I'm scared of taking my medicine . I was given Lexapro and Ativan to take for my panic attacks and anxiety. I'm scared that the medicine is going to have a negative effect on me or make me much worse I think my anxiety its making me think to much on it but I still don't know what to do.

Does anybody have and tips or advice?
    The only advice that I would have when it comes to ativan is that if you are going to take it then try not to become dependent on it and use it too regularly.

Only take some if you are feeling really fearful perhaps. Benzos such as ativan can be habit forming and it is very easy to build up a tolerance meaning that you may need more for the same effect.

I have used ativan but have managed to quit it completely now after using it intermittently for about 6 months. I don't know a thing about lexapro however.

It might be a good idea to keep a diary recording when you take ativan and how much. Or perhaps your doctor wants you to take it daily?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information