Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of death

Re: Fear of death

Quote Originally Posted by Dbaker View Post
    I don't know why but I'm scared of taking my medicine . I was given Lexapro and Ativan to take for my panic attacks and anxiety. I'm scared that the medicine is going to have a negative effect on me or make me much worse I think my anxiety its making me think to much on it but I still don't know what to do.

Does anybody have and tips or advice?
    I used to have a similar fear, and in my own experience, sometimes medication can have really horrible side effects that can be pretty scary. Something that helps for me (and I would consult with your doctor before adjusting your medication) is to start at an extremely low dose and gradually increase the amount I'm taking over the course of several weeks. This helps me avoid a lot of the negative side effects.

I don't know what other remedies you've tried, but there are alternatives to medication, and those are always worth looking into. For me, medication has really helped, but I know it's not the right path for everyone.

AtivanŽ = lorazepam, for all those who don't wish to endorse particular brands of this drug.

I am also struggling with this fear daily and it is so crippling. It completely consumes my life so please know you are not alone. Every time I get a small glimmer of hope my mind says, "yeah, but you're going to die one day!" Which leads me to extreme existential thoughts and feeling trapped in my mind. It's so horrible and brings on the depersonalization/derealization. I'd do anything to make these thoughts stop.

Here's the thing. We all have the power within ourselves to stop them. I know no one wants to hear that, that we're all (myself included) on here desperately seeking an answer on how not to be afraid and how to over come the fear of death. I know my biggest problem is being bored. My job is so boring, then I go home and have very little going on and what I do have going on does not take a lot of brain power or creativity thus allowing me plenty of time to obsess and get stuck in these thought patterns.

I have taken Lexapro two different times. I have nothing bad to say about it at all, I think it's great. However it seems as soon as I come off, I'm back to where I started. I am bound and determined to overcome these thoughts myself and not go back on medication. They're just THOUGHTS, WE are in control of them. Let's all get through this horrible fear together!

I am exactly the same. I REALLY need some help, someone to talk to. Ive suffered from this all day everyday, for the last three months. It's not getting any easier. I've just started an anti-depressant as I've also been diagnosed with GAD and mild depression - so I'll see how that starts to go.

However, I just freak out and panic and obsess over death ALL day long, I can't stop thinking about it at all and it's ruined my life conpletely. No one can talk to me either and tell me what to do - I can't find anything in my mind to take my mind off it either. I just feel screwed like I'll never get better.

Can anyone help me? Thanks

Hello!

I have been through this and am mostly over it now!

It got to a point where I couldn't sleep because I was so scared of death. My anxiety was caused by a traumatic experience, and then living in a city where I wasn't happy and doing a job I didn't like anymore. I literally quit my job and moved back home, since then I have improved so much! I also saw a counsellor and had some CBT sessions. I still think about death quite often but it doesn't take over.

At the moment I am having a bit of a lapse, I can put this down to lack of sleep and not eating properly this weekend.

Honestly, you can get over it. I would highly recommend seeing a counsellor and/or trying CBT. And look after yourself, eat healthily, try and get enough sleep, keep busy!

It's comforting know that I'm not alone with this. It's been constant for well over 6 months. I thought it would pass as it has before but this time it's just stuck. It doesn't help that over the last few weeks I've heard of a lot of deaths and I start thinking all over again. I'm like what's the point. This is all gonna mean nothing in the end. I have got to the point where I need help. I can't go to the doctors I find everyone of them are useless when I try and go for help. I'm going to search online for something. I need my way of thinking to change else I will make my self I'll.

Hi
    I am currently struggling with this problem, have been for about a month now, and just wondering if you or anyone else has found a way to help deal with it? Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information