Thread: New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on here although I've been reading the forums for a few weeks and I've found it really reassuring to read about other people experiences and to find a supportive environment where we can discuss our illness openly.

I am a 30 year old female and I have suffered anxiety for about 7 years, without any professional help. It hadn't been too bad over the last few years, apart from the occassional blip. However the last few months have been really rough. I finally told a GP on Friday as I'd started to get depressed because of the anxiety symptoms. She suggested a course of anti-depressents, but I was reluctant to go on them as it would be at least 6 months and I already have to take meds for asthma and IBS.

She prescribed me a low dose of diazepam (2mg), on the understanding that I would only take them when the anxiety gets very severe (havn't had any yet) and has also referred me to a counsellor at the surgery. She has also asked me to think about what I want to do (ie see a psychiatrist or go on the meds). I feel already a huge weight has been lifted by telling the GP and although I'm not desperate to take the diazepam, I feel reassured that it is there if things get too bad.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer about the diazepam as I've never taken anything like that before and I'm worried how I might react to it. I look forward to chatting to others about anxiety disorder and hopefully also helping others.

Re: New Member

Hi Caribou,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

Hi Caribou,

Welcome to the forums. You gets loads of advice here and meet lots of lovely people too.

I took diazepam for a short time but found it didn't really get to the root of the problem in my case. I think that your attitude to the drug is really positive and it would be good to talk to your counsellor about it (if you haven't already).

Pop into the chat room when you feel ready. I go in at some point most evenings and everyone will make you feel very welcome.

Take care and lots of hugs,

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on here although I've been reading the forums for a few weeks and I've found it really reassuring to read about other people experiences and to find a supportive environment where we can discuss our illness openly.

I am a 30 year old female and I have suffered anxiety for about 7 years, without any professional help. It hadn't been too bad over the last few years, apart from the occassional blip. However the last few months have been really rough. I finally told a GP on Friday as I'd started to get depressed because of the anxiety symptoms. She suggested a course of anti-depressents, but I was reluctant to go on them as it would be at least 6 months and I already have to take meds for asthma and IBS.

She prescribed me a low dose of diazepam (2mg), on the understanding that I would only take them when the anxiety gets very severe (havn't had any yet) and has also referred me to a counsellor at the surgery. She has also asked me to think about what I want to do (ie see a psychiatrist or go on the meds). I feel already a huge weight has been lifted by telling the GP and although I'm not desperate to take the diazepam, I feel reassured that it is there if things get too bad.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer about the diazepam as I've never taken anything like that before and I'm worried how I might react to it. I look forward to chatting to others about anxiety disorder and hopefully also helping others.

Hi all, I am new to this site. I am a 40 year old female and slowly making a recovery from agoraphobia. Until recently, I was confined to my house for 5 years. With the help of a good therapist who specializes in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, I have recently started to go outside to local shops. I still feel paniky and cannot lead a full life. I have been told that antidepressants plus therapy would mean that I make quicker progress and a full recovery but I am too worried to try antidepressants at the moment. I have been prescribed Citalopram. Has anyone on this site taken these antidepressants and if so, how did you find them?

In reply to Caribou regarding Diazepam. I have been taking Diazepam (5mg - one tablet) for 3 years now but only every few weeks or so when I have to attend hospital appointments or dental appointments. They are great at taking the edge off your panic and calm you down. I find that the only side effects I experience are light-headedness, feeling drowsy and not very alert. They slow you down. I sometimes have a headache after taking them. You are on a much lower dose than me so these side effects should not be too bad. Your main concern should be that they are addictive so that is why you must not take them on a daily basis. I have never had a bad experience on them. This should also reassure you - my dog (a 10 pounds tiny Yorkshire Terrier) was prescribed them by her vet for panic attacks caused by fireworks on and around Bonfire Night. She was prescribed 5mg of Diazepam (quarter to half a tablet). She experiences the same side effects as I do - sleepinesss and a bit unsteady. That's all! I really think you have nothing to worry about. The biggest worry is that you do not take them often and more than the dose your GP advised.

A note of caution though - do not have any alcohol on the day you take them because it will increase the drowsy and dizzy feeling you might experience with the pills. Additionally, do not drive or operate machinery etc until you are sure how they effect you.

Hi Caribou,

A warm welcome aboard.

You will meet some lovely caring people on here and get loads of support so hope we can be of some help to you as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Smile Re: New Member

Hi And Welcome
    Debera

Elo,
    Welcome to the site..great support n advice here..great to have ya on board x

'What you do today, is gettin' you closer to where ye wanna be tomora'

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

The advice about the medication is much appreciated thanks. I still havn't taken any diazepam, but so far since my visit to the doctor the anxiety has been tolerable (give or take a few palpatations and shakiness today). I will definately discuss it with the counsellor, although the appointment with her isn't for another couple of weeks. I'm hoping i can hold it together till then, as one of my worries about the diazepam is that it will make me drowsy at work and unable to function. I really love my job and I wouldn't want to lose it or take much time off because of my anxiety. I had left jobs in the past, due to anxiety but they were only cr@ppy jobs. Its only a low dose though so hopefully the drowsiness should be minimal.

My anxiety seems to be health related these days, in that I seem to worry that there is something wrong with me. I also get an overwheming feeling that I'm going to die young. I was run down physically recently, having two throat infections and a chest infection. I had a chest x-ray and that came back fine, which was a relief! I'd become convinced they would find a problem with my heart or lungs. The doctor dosn't think there is anything physically wrong, but she thought it a good idea for me to have some blood tests just to eliminate any underlying conditions and also to hopefully put my mind at rest.

Thanks for invite to the chatroom - I will pop in and say hi soon

Hello and welcome to the site. I'm sure will get lots of great advice and support, I have. And I've made some great friends. Good luck, take care Sarah x

Thread Information