Thread: Anxiety in the workplace

Anxiety in the workplace

Hi!

Thought I'd give posting a shot since I'm struggling with something. I'm due to start an internship in a few weeks. Of course I already feel nervous as if tomorrow's actually my first day and I'll feel like that till the actual day. I can't sleep, I feel incredibly nervous, my hands shake constantly and I feel like I can't think straight. I really, really need to perform well, because I'll graduate afterwards hopefully.

I dread first days. So many new faces and good impressions I need to make. The classic what-if-they-dont-like-me will still haunt me the entire day. What if I sit there awkwardly on my own, consumed by extreme nervousness to do anything meaningful. Days like that drain me, when I come home I don't even feel like eating. I just want to go to bed.
    Performance has to be my strength, it's what I got hired for and somehow the company saw potential in me (which I feel a bit suspicious of actually). When I feel anxiety however, I forget everything and then feel extremely self-conscious. I can't even tell you the basics of a subject when I'm in that state, I can't even draw a straight line when I sketch. Of course when I relax at home, it all comes back and I stop relaxing and start beating myself into the ground.

Does anyone have advice on how to clear your head or calm down? Had any good experiences with medication? I'm tired of being on edge all the time, it's exhausting and I fear for the future.
    I really, for once, want to try and be zen when I tackle something like this!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mimzel; 23-01-16 at 02:09.

Re: Anxiety in the workplace

Good luck. I hope it's all going well.

I can draw a blank when anxious too sometimes. Did it a few times at college. Found it hard to take stuff in there too. I just tried to put in much more preparation for the coming day. If I go prepared I don't have to do as much thinking on the day in that moment. I feel ready, prepared and more confident. As oppose to going in to think much more on my feet. When your brain freezes you can't.

Focus on stuff you can enjoy and not the dangers. It'll be hard at first until you're used to the reality of that environment. Then learn to look for what you can enjoy. You might have to go against your instinct but may end up enjoying and surprising yourself. And if you're enjoying you'll be looser and can think.

Anticipate your day, be well prepared and see it successful then go and do it.
    Note problems at the end and prepare solutions for the following day. You'll be fantastic at it.

Thanks for the kind words and tips!

Usually I try to wake up early and build up a routine. With these spontaneous events I find it really hard to prepare however. They're doing a group breakfast (like I'd be able to eat anything then!) and interactive sessions. So I'm really scared I'll draw a blank as soon as they ask me something!

Remember that most people find first days hard, and the people at your work will be expecting that. Allow yourself to be nervous as it's normal, and try not to focus on it and worry that you're worried. If you got through the interview, then you can do this!

Ahh I sympathise, I have been in this position work wise and will do it again in a week! I too am dreading it. If all the normal everyday coping strategies just don't work I take 2.5mg of diazepam, it takes the edge off and lets you relax enough to get through it (it is also an appetite stimulant). You should try it out first before the actual day of course to see if it suits you. Also if you don't fancy that the next best thing is skullcap and valerian - I take it as a liquid combined its brill (tastes disgusting!) Good luck, no doubt I will be on here next week with the same issues!

"I really really need to perform". That expectation of yourself is exactly why you're feeling performance anxiety (mentally freezing).
    "I really need to perform or...." some sort of disaster.

Thats too much pressure. I'd be surprised if that much is going to be expected of you in the early stages so challenge that and take that pressure off so you can allow yourself to be human, start nervous like everybody else and grow into your new environment.

The fact is not many people are expected to hit the ground running at 100% and the whole world knows this. We are humans not robots. At first we are shy around strangers and lack confidence in new surroundings. So I think you can lower your expectations of yourself right down in those early stages to things like

1. Turn up
    2. Get used to your surroundings.
    3. Be around the others and listen in and get to know them.
    4. Contribute in any small basic way at first. Remember you can contribute more and better later once you've grown in confidence. (And you will, it's inevitable !)

Bring those expectations of yourself and that performance anxiety right down.
    Once you're there you'll find your confidence and pinpoint who are going to be your friends. When you observe what happens there you can then come more prepared to do well and will be loose enough to respond well because you'll feel more at ease.

So just turn up, allow yourself to be human, shy, a bit nervous, do a bit of observing and show youre friendly ! Pressure off !

Thanks Oosh and lizzie29! I'll do my best Thus far my first days have always been nerve wracking, though they went alright as I got older. It's just the before and the first steps each time. Like you know it might not be as bad as you think, but you still get so extremely nervous. I really can't sleep properly for days, barely get anything to eat (or way too much) and really living up to it is a nightmare. But I'll really do my best

Good luck nursegreenwhippet! I have some valerian at home but sometimes I feel like I'm expecting too much of it haha. Please let me know how your first day goes!

Workplace can be harsh, but we all must go to work to earn money

Thread Information