Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '''PLEASE HELP''' im scared and dont know what to do

'''PLEASE HELP''' im scared and dont know what to do

hi my name is devin baker and I am struggling with my anxiety and panic attacks. the have gotten so bad that is stopping me from doing my school work and has stopped me from going to work. they started with me fearing that I was having a heart attack and now have graduated to me think that I'm going blind. my symptoms are
    • eye pain
    • eye floater
    • seeing flashing of lights
    • seeing a light drizzle and TV like static sometimes
    • constant chest pain
    • throat feels like its closing up
    • headaches
    • and just the fear alone with these symptoms are overwhelming

I have been to the doctor a thousand times and nothing has came back wrong I have had an , EKG, MRI, CT scan and been it the eye doctor 5 times and there seems to be nothing wrong but it doesn't feel like it. I don't see how people deal with this o a daily basis because its really starting to take a toll on my life

does anybody have a similar situation or tips on getting through this? I NEED HELP.

Re: '''PLEASE HELP''' im scared and dont know what to do

The thing is, being that medical science and professionals have ruled out anything physical, it leaves the psychological as the culprit and your symptoms are consistent with anxiety.

Are you getting help for your anxiety or taking meds? You're still in school so I take it you're rather young?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I have just turned 21 and I'm a sophomore in college. I was given Lexapro and Ativan to take for my anxiety. I am scared to take it because I'm thinking that its goin to make me worse. I'm honestly scared of going blind and dying at my young age. I don't what to do anymore

Hey - your health anxiety is controlling you not the other way round.
    I used to be like you always at the GP and had tests for loads- mainly heart worries then I went on ADs gradually my anxiety decreased and I stopped obsessively thinking about my health.
    You are young and have loads to do yet .why don't you speak to your health provider about taking meds again.
    I didn't want to medicate but in the end felt like I had to as constant worrying was wrecking my life.
    Say what if you lived to be 98 you d have spent all that time stressing for nothing x

Devin, here's the deal. I am EXACTLY LIKE YOU! I would not take medication. I feared that my physical symptoms would worsen... But here's the deal... The physical symptoms stem from the anxiety. I swear to God, I was EXACTLY in your shoes!!!! I was a total basket case and just couldn't bring myself to take my meds. Listen, You need to take it.. You have to at least try something different.... Are you happy the way you are? NO! You must take this risk... the benefits outway the risks any day. I am by no means cured but I am on day 8 of lexapro and I am fine. Do I still have bad days, yes. I am also on Valium, similar to ativan I hear. The ativan is quick acting and given to you to combat those initial fears of taking the medication. I can't stress enough. That medication will change your life. It has been amazing for me. I never thought I would be the same if I took my medication--a different person. And I was right.. But not in the way that I thought. I AM different and I am a BETTER version of who I was. I am not anxiety anymore... I am ME! Prayers and hugs to you. I am praying so hard you will have the strength to just try, even just a morsel of the ativan, and calm down. You are going to be okay!!! Please seek the help of a Psychiatrist or Counselor if there is one available. And of course, we are all here for you!

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

Did you read the article I had sent to you before? These eye symptoms (especially if your doctor has checked you so many times--that should be reassuring as these tests mentioned are very serious and could pinpoint any serious disease or sickness) are many that I have experienced or experience when I have an anxiety episode. Here's what I have found, on a good day (no spells, as I call them) I have clear vision, a few floaters, no problems. However, faced with stress, I have insane vision issues. This morning for example, I woke up and was fine then my brain started running 1000 miles an hour. My vision started to get funny and then I started to feel funny. And there we went from there. I took a Valium and settled down and I am coming around now. I just pray that you accept that your brain is VERY POWERFUL in convincing you of things. We all have lived it. Bless your heart--I feel your pain right now! Hugs again!!

If its any help I have had some of these symptoms for 20 years now and my GP says if it was anything serious I would know by now. I definitely was helped by the Claire Weekes book Self Help For Your Nerves. Its so easy to read and shows how a tired weary mind can feel very anxious. Once you understand that its just your body following the same pattern you start to improve. The symptoms are still there but you don't feel as frightened by them.

thanks you all for the support. its has been really tough the last couple of weeks and I have been filling defeated but thanks. I am going to give the medicine a shot, and yes I read the article about my eyes and it did clam my mind a little thank you guys

Smile Re: '''PLEASE HELP''' im scared and dont know what to do

Hey there! I'm here struggling with the same symptoms as you and had to skip summer school this year (I'm a senior University student) because the anxiety had become really strong since, like, mid august last year (all semester long I had to skip some classes and go home because, well, you know...). I started to have panic attacks on year 2007 and it's today that I haven't overcame them; I was prescribed fluoxetine and alprazolam and went for a year or less to Cognitive behavioural therapy (I dropped out because I really can tell you that I'm super stubborn and I got the idea that the therapy wasn't working for me). Even though I have recurring anxiety symptoms which may lead to a panic attack none of which Alprazolam seems to ease once it has taken its culprit, I try to talk nonsense to anyone so that I can disperse my mind from the feeling of "impending doom". I also inform my friends about my -let's call it- ailment, so that when I feel like I'm having a panic attack I can talk to them and they help me to calm me down (I also take the meds, but sometimes the adrenaline and everything is rushing so hard that it seems they're not working -they do though, but as stated before I'm stubborn and skeptical and a philosophy student, mind you, lol). I'm gonna repeat what everybody keeps telling me: "It's all in your head, once you've tamed those nonsensical thoughts, you'll do great". Wishing you best,

Nova

P.S: Sorry for my broken English, haven't practised it in a long while, but hope I made myself clear.

Cheers from Costa Rica

Thanks allot nova and I understood everything you said. I'm trying to stay positive.

Hello Devin I commented on another post of yours however I thought I would hit you up on this one as well.

Anxiety definitely causes a lot of physical symptoms. It's scary because although the symptoms and sensations are real, they are caused by nothing more than stress and constant worry.

If you were having a heart attack, you would know! Chest pain is a common feeling of anxiety, however if you were having a heart attack, you wouldn't be able to breath (I don't mean hyperventilating). Your chest would feel like an elephant was sitting on it and you may even have pain radiating into your left shoulder. Also, a heart attack happens soon after that. The that you are on this site worrying rather than in a hospital is reassuring

Anxiety can also cause visual disturbances. Visual snow is one of the most common ones. I remember having this once so bad that I could hardly see my own hand in front of me! However this calmed down as soon as I took m y mind off it. In fact, as we speak I am having mild visual snow. I was up until 5:30 last night, unable to sleep because I was sure I was having retinal detachment. However I found some interesting things that relate to both your symptoms and mine, so let me share!

First and foremost, retinal detachment is painless, so the fact that you're having pain suggests eye strain (which yes, can be caused by anxious habits). Flashing lights (as long as they don't appear suddenly and flood the visual field) are also common and normal. You get them when any sort of stress is placed on the back of the eye. So in your case, again, I would suggest eye strain as the culprit. You may also see false light when you press on your eyes, especially the sides, when you bend over, or even when you sneeze particularly violently! Ha! Also, everyone has floaters, and focusing on them makes them MUCH more prominent than they otherwise would be. Did you gradually start to notice them, or did they all suddenly happen at once? Do you notice any dark fields in your vision, or any "shimmering" or "distorted" spots?

And lastly, headaches and a tight, thick feeling throat are two of the most common anxiety symptoms. You probably have a tension headache and these usually tend to get worse throughout the day. Tight throat, I'm not sure why that happens but a lot of people get it including me. As long as you can breath without difficulty and you are still able to swallow (even if it feels weird) then you're fine.

YOU HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL DOCTORS AND THEY ALL SAY THAT YOU'RE HEALTHY. The only thing left to do is calm your mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information