Thread: Counselling as well as CBT

Counselling as well as CBT

I am struggling with anxiety and depression. I am just finishing low intensity CBT - I have my 7th and final session in 2 weeks time, and then after that my PWP has said she is referring me on for high intensity CBT but there will likely be a 4 month wait for that. What I have learnt so far is helpful to a degree but everything is still so difficult. The PWP thinks I have responded somewhat to the low intensity CBT and could do even better with the high intensity therapy.

Because I have to wait for the CBT I was wondering about seeing a private counsellor in the meantime. I could probably afford 2 sessions/month. I've had a look at the register of local BACP counsellors and there are a few that from their websites I might feel comfortable talking to, one is an 'integrative' therapist and the other says they are psychoanalytic.

Is this a good idea? I just really want someone to generally talk to and help me reflect and keep working on the techniques I've already learnt. Has anyone else done this and sees a different counsellor as well as the CBT?

Re: Counselling as well as CBT

I can tell you that I had some one on one therapy after my illnesses for some depression and I worked on a CBT course on my own along with it. My therapist was all for it and I found many of the techniques useful.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information