Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirtazapine causing illness?

Re: Mirtazapine causing illness?

Unspoken, you sound in a similar situation to myself. I was put on Mirt after getting really ill (vomitting) on sertraline, lasted 8 days, then again had really bad side effects on citalopram and had to stop after 3.5 weeks.

My dogs are Lola, a 4 year old collie x american bulldog who is completely bonkers and has a lot of issues (she was rescued at 7 months) and Zico, a 16 month Golden Retriever who is all heart and good looks and no brains! I'd be completely lost without my dogs but in the past couple of months have struggled as they aren't getting as long walks as they usually would and because of my anxiety we have mostly been going to the same place over and over so I feel guilty I'm not being the best dog mummy I can be.

I've been off work since late october and now have has to ask for some unpaid leave. Its difficult as, like you, having no purpose for the day is bringing my mood way down, along with the meds I think. Mirt is known for making you wake in the mornings feeling terrible, so having nothing I absolutely HAVE to do at any particular time makes it difficult to even try to function. I've had periods of great support from my brother and a good friend who have both done stints of staying with me when I'm feeling really unwell/anxious but I feel I can't keep burdening them as this has gone on too long.

I made it to the hospital (I live in a small city so only a 15 minute trip) and the appointment was so quick and I felt pretty good so I went shopping for an hour and bought two pairs of shoes I can't afford. But I was so pleased to feel okay doing something 'normal'.

Then I came home and picked up the dogs and took them across town to join a friend for a walk. Started feeling really woozy (it was quite warm) and weak and really struggled with the anxiety on the drive home.

I definitely feel ill, not just anxious. I feel like I have mumps or something. All swollen and sore around my glands and feel feverish but don't have a fever. I think I'll skip the Mirt tonight and talk to Dr in the morning. I've only been on a super low dose so I expect it hasn,t made me ill and I am just ill. This, though, makes me anxious/worried as I do not need a relapse of the ME (I've managed over the last few years by only working 20 hours a week and pacing myself the rest of the time).

Did you get an increased appetite on the Mirt? I was RAVENOUS for about a week and a half. Now I can barely face food as too tired to eat.

Shame about your friend. My best friend has turned her back on me since I've been unwell and I am feeling very sad about that. But must keep trucking on!

Re: Mirtazapine causing illness?

I'm sorry to hear your best friend has turned her back on you. Perhaps she isn't sure how to help or what to say? I have a friend like that who struggles to deal with my low moods. This other guy I met recently and I was trying to help him with his problems, but it massively backfired. For me, it was a distraction from my own situation. But now I have no distraction and nothing to do and I feel awful.

You've done well to manage the ME enough that you've been able to work. It is so hard to live life at your own pace when everybody else seems to be doing more.

It's the middle of winter here but it's unseasonably warm. Going out without any purpose makes me feel rubbish though.

It's good that your brother and your friend have both been supporting you. I live with my parents but they have no idea how to help me so it is quite isolating.

Your dogs sound lovely but hard work. Golden retrievers are gorgeous and so much fun. At work there's an 18 month old beagle who's been coming in since he was a puppy. He is funny, playful and affectionate and I love him so much, but he's also stubborn and has no sense of safety, so he's hard work. I can understand it must be difficult caring for two dogs when you're unwell, but they sound happy and healthy and they'll be appreciating every walk you give them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information