Thread: Gastroscopy with sedation tomorrow - terrified

Gastroscopy with sedation tomorrow - terrified

I have to have a gastroscopy tomorrow and I am terrified. I have generalised anxiety disorder and for a couple of years the Dr's have put my stomach issues down to this, even referring me to CBT, now they have decided there is something going on in my stomach and I have to have a gastroscopy. I am having sedation but worried I will have a panic attack as they approach me with the tube, gag or feel as though I am chocking. Has anyone had this done with sedation? Any reassurance or advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Gastroscopy with sedation tomorrow - terrified

Mate their is absolutely nothing to worry about iv had it lots of times without sedation I'm more scared of the sedation if I'm honest it takes about 5 mins they spray your throat then insert if you relax it's quick and simple

Thanks Melvin - not sure how i'll relax as they're waving a garden hose towards my face but i'll give it a good go!

My Grandad had one and the only thing he mentioned was he wish he had been wearing chapstick! His lips were painfully dry. Other than that I have no experience but good luck x

Ha ha Sarah, thanks will bring the chapstick

Tilly I ve had it with sedation and throat spray. Sedation absolutely fine didn't remember a thing , throat spay uncomfortable but very quick and easy too! You ll be fine just relax

Thanks so much Uma that's really helped me. I know I'm making it worse with worry than it will probably be. Stupid panic. Logical brain knows I need it and I'm hopeful for good results, anxiety brain is making me crazy!! X

Thread Information