Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxious about rib pain

Anxious about rib pain

Hi it's my first time posting here. I've had a constant niggley pain in my right ribs now for about 4 weeks. I say pain it didn't really hurt maybe felt a bit like cramp. Anyway last weekend I googled (silly I know) and convinced myself it's my liver I went to the hospital in a panic and saw a nurse who said he thought it was anxiety and pulled muscles as the ache is sometimes high up in my ribs. Went to the Drs a couple of days later and who again said anxiety and a pulled muscle see how it is in a month.

It's driving me crazy I can't eat for a week I've lived off a few bananas and yogurts today I've come home from work in a state because I'm convinced there's something wrong and the ache isn't always in the same place it's now also moved to the back of my ribs and I sometimes feel there is something under them but if I have a hot water bottle or move how I'm sitting it goes. I don't think the ache is always there but it is if I think about it if that makes sense?

Is this all in my head? I've got a beautiful 4 year old daughter and I'm so scared of leaving her

Re: Anxious about rib pain

I've recently been really worried about chest pain. Which is apparantly muscular. I have a 10 mth old though so probably lifting her. Do you lift your little one much? Could it be that? X

I get rib pain and I'm only 17 years old. Sometimes squeezing, sometimes sharp. Had ECG, echo, x-rays that all came out perfect.

You will know if it's cardiovascular. It's described as the worst pain in your life.
    “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

Count your blessings!

Thank You both for replying. I don't lift my daughter as much now but I do heavy lifting at work but I can't remember lifting anything and hurting myself plus it's been for so long now. I did read that if it was my liver and it was enlarged the dr would be able to feel it but neither could. I did have awful trapped wind over Christmas then noticed this after so wonder if that could have anything to do with it

Anxiety makes you feel little pains that normally a person without anxiety wouldn't conciously feel. It intensifies them as well.

It happens to me too, sometimes I have mild abdominal/chest pains for no reason but generally, when I'm busy, I don't even realize, most of them are just normal in fact. I went through your same worries years ago, but after many tests and so much time perfecting my anxiety coping skills I learned to live with them, to the point where you could say they disappeared.

Thank you for your reply. It doesn't help that after my daughter was born I had gallstones and was told for 9 months by my dr that it was anxiety so I'm worried they've missed something again this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    Thank you for your reply. It doesn't help that after my daughter was born I had gallstones and was told for 9 months by my dr that it was anxiety so I'm worried they've missed something again this time.
    I don't think so. Docs missing stuff happens every now and then but it's not a very common occurence.

Can I ask how old are you? If you're under 40 and you're thinking about sinister stuff starting with C, don't even think about it, it would be more likely for you to be struck by lightning instead of that. And even if you're older than that age, it's still rare.

Chances are it's nothing serious and it will just go away on its own, just be careful not to obsess about it because anxiety is a real illness and can be more scary than a lot of other stuff, it can easily spiral out of control very fast... so eat properly, keep your mind entertained, spend time with your family and before you know it it'll likely be gone. If the pain ever escalates, paying the doc another visit wouldn't hurt, though.

I'm nearly 30 if it was something serious I would feel the pain all the time wouldn't I? It would wake me from my sleep? I'm going back to the Drs tomorrow for some reassurance. Logically my head tells me it's nothing ignore it then I start thinking what if it is serious and I've ignored it? Also if it was liver related I'd have other symptoms other than an ache. I think the anxiety has put me off my food and it's worrying me that not feeling hungry is a symptom of liver problems. It's a vicious circle

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    I'm nearly 30 if it was something serious I would feel the pain all the time wouldn't I? It would wake me from my sleep? I'm going back to the Drs tomorrow for some reassurance. Logically my head tells me it's nothing ignore it then I start thinking what if it is serious and I've ignored it? Also if it was liver related I'd have other symptoms other than an ache. I think the anxiety has put me off my food and it's worrying me that not feeling hungry is a symptom of liver problems. It's a vicious circle
    Yeah, I understand how you feel.

Your best bet is to go for some medical reassurance indeed, but after you get it, you have to break the vicious circle of anxiety, otherwise it will just keep going on and on.

Also if you're nearly 30, forget about anything "serious", it's not going to happen. If anything it could be mild to moderate ailments like chronic trapped gas, gallstones again or stuff like that, no sinister stuff.

Thank you what your saying does make sense the dr also started me on antidepressants 6 days ago so hopefully they will soon kick in and help me settle down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information