Thread: Can Emetophobia CAUSE Functional Dyspepsia?

Can Emetophobia CAUSE Functional Dyspepsia?

Hello Everybody

My Emetophobia has become considerably worse over the 10 months previous following a 'close call' last March.

Coincidentally (or more likely not) I have developed functional dyspepsia. This diagnosis was made by a gastroenterologist who has recommended that I engage a hypnotherapist. My digestion was completely healthy until last year's episode, so I'm inclined to believe that all of my physical symptoms (which are constant and mightily unpleasant) are as a consequence of my emetophobia. Has anyone else experienced severe digestive issues BECAUSE OF emetophobia? Might hypnotherapy be of benefit? Can this be cured by treating the underlying anxiety?

Thank you so much for any and all responses. I am beginning to feel somewhat desperate.

James - Out To Get You

Re: Can Emetophobia CAUSE Functional Dyspepsia?

I'm afraid I don't have any answers to your question because I'm in a similar boat to you, but not as severe. I just wanted to say you're not alone.

I've had emetophobia since I was 11 (29 now), though mostly in short obsessive phases during my 20s. Recently I've had a 'flare up' of the emetophobia and I can feel every last sensation in my stomach, I'm hyper aware of EVERYTHING going on and I'm always convinced that this is it, this means the worst is going to happen.

Not that I'm medically trained in any way, but I believe that the actual stress caused by the emetophobia could cause all sorts of horrible things. IBS, acid reflux/GERD etc. I get upset stomachs a lot, which at the time makes me panic that it's some bug, but actually, I reckon it's all down to the stress this awful, debilitating issue that is emetophobia.

I've read about people taking travel sickness tablets / anti emetics to put their minds at rest.. depends how you feel about taking tablets I guess. I've not tried that yet.

I really hope you get some answers and feel better soon..there's nothing worse than constantly worrying that your body is going to betray you.

Hi CrazyBirdFluff

Thank you very much for your response. I'm sorry that you're also suffering.

May I ask you some questions about how your condition manifests? Are the symptoms constant or do they ebb and flow? Are they worse when you're tired later in the day? This may appear inexplicably random, but can you feel palpitations in your stomach?

Feeling as though my body is betraying me describes this debacle perfectly. Any tips on how to cope should this prove to be long-term? My consultant advised me to remain busy and my stomach will behave itself. Alas, not the case thus far.

James - Out To Get You

Hi to everyone/anyone who reads this post,

Please forgive the late response but I've only just noticed this thread. I'm so sorry to read about your suffering.
    How are you both doing now? Better I hope!

Similarly to you both I have emetophobia (I've had it for as long as I can remember) and awful digestive problems (chronic gastritis, hyperacidity, GERD and dyspepsia, oesophagitis, IBS..) for the last 7 years. The consultant I saw told me that my digestive problems were more than likely due to years of chronic stress - I also have agoraphobia and had been trying to overcome that in the 8 years preceding it. Before that (in 2000) was a bout of Glandular Fever, 4 years of recurring sinusitis and 1 year of recurring tonsillitis, oh, and I've had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since the age of 13 doh! lol One doctor told me my body will get better when my mind gets better, but who has time to wait!?

It really does feel like your body is betraying you, that it's the enemy even, and for those of us who it causes physical illness in, in preventing recovery. I've also had an ovarian cyst and breast lump in the last 4 years so really don't feel I can trust mine!
    On the positive side, (*finally* you're probably thinking!), I found hypnotherapy quite helpful for taking the edge off anxiety, coping with panic, boosting confidence and for positive thinking. I found it far, far more helpful than CBT.

I tried CBT last year for emetophobia, desperately and naively perhaps thinking that if I could cure the root problem I'd be cured of all my problems. But unfortunately CBT didn't work and has in fact made me much worse. I'm now worse than I've been for a decade, which is incredibly frustrating.
    So, although CBT reportedly helps a great many people, I would advise people to be cautious in attempting it for phobias until they truly are ready. Perhaps I just had a bad experience with the therapist I saw but, for instance, I was told to try foods that I don't normally eat; (due to my stomach problems my diet is very restricted). So this year I finally decided to be brave and try king prawns, (they were on my list of things to try). Big mistake, I was violently ill many times for hours. I still feel traumatised now.. Oh, and the therapist I saw wrote to my Doctor and told him to stop prescribing my anti sickness medication (which I was actually originally prescribed to help with my nausea and reflux when it's particularly bad) because it was a security blanket preventing my recovery! I didn't even take them often, only when I really felt I needed them.

Anyway, on a more constructive note, the things I have found helpful for soothing stomach problems are acidophilus tablets (refrigerated ones work best), aloe vera juice, stem ginger biscuits, and green tea with honey (preferably manuka). I'm now looking into changing my diet and trying daily meditation to see if there's more I can be doing to help myself.

Sorry for rambling and for not being able to offer more help and better guidance!

Thread Information