Thread: Mammogram Recall

Mammogram Recall

Hi everyone,

So my mum who is 62 (nearly 63) went for her 2 yearly mammogram earlier this month. Just on a week later she has received a letter saying that she has to go back for further testing in a fortnight (only a week away now). All they told her when she rang to make her appointment was that this mammogram was different to her last mammogram. She hasn't felt a lump or anything and hasn't had any other symptoms or pain and this is her first recall after getting mammograms very 2 years since she was 50. She had the mammogram at the BreastScreen clinic at the hospital. I'm extremely worried for her as I'm very close to her and understand that she is getting older now and have a large fear of something happening to her and coping without her. She isn't too worried about going for her diagnostic mammogram and other tests at this stage, saying she will only be worried if they find something. I wish I had her attitude! We don't have a family history of breast cancer (she has 7 sisters), and from looking at other risk factors, she is a bit over weight, she finished menopause at age 56. She has had 2 children, though she was 35 when she had her first child and she breastfed her children for about 2 months each. She seems pretty healthy though other than high blood pressure which is controlled though medication and fairly bad arthritis in certain joints.
    Seeing as we still have another week to wait, just hoping there are other people who can share stories of mammogram recalls or pieces of advice that can calm me down.

Re: Mammogram Recall

Hi Beauty
    Lots of things to point out here -
    Firstly there has been a lot of controversy here in the UK about breast screening leading to over diagnosis and consequently some having treatment for bc that never would have been invasive in their lifetime. For every 1 women diagnosed with a invasive breast cancer three or four will end up being over diagnosed and over treated. The issue is mostly about a type of cell change called DCIS which doctors believe now is not actually a cancer but a type of pre-cancer that may never develop. In the past women have had mastectomies because of this but now are are often offered 'watch and wait' instead. The advice is for women in the UK is now that mammography is down to choice. Obviously if you are medium or high risk mammography is favourable.
    Secondly your mum has been followed carefully with regular mammograms. If it is a bc (and there is only about a 25% chance that it is) she will have had it detected early and hopefully less invasive treatment.
    Thirdly it might be a cyst or something.
    Most importantly she has exercised as much control as possible over bc by being checked.
    Biggest risk factor for bc is age and we cant avoid growing older. I know it's impossible not to worry but she has done everything she can to help herself. Unfortunately she has to wait to find out what's happening.
    Cerridwen

They are always very thorough with this process. My mum got recalled then sent somewhere else, it just turned out to be some normal thickening. I have been recalled and biopsied every time I go as I have fibrous lumpy breasts. All times it was fine. Hopefully they are just being good and thorough.

I have been recalled too. It was calsifications. Was ok. hope your Mum goes on ok x
    Last edited by Magic; 27-01-16 at 12:06. Reason: spelling

Prayers for your Mom! Keep us posted!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies!
    I guess I'm just worried seeing as my mum has never had any issues like this before.

I've spoken to some people at work and they've been of some comfort as their partners have had breast cancer and lumps removed.

Would I be right in thinking that if they do find a lump or something, seeing as she can't even feel anything and feels normal, that it would be early stage and highly treatable?

Considering your mother hasn't felt anything, even if it is something of concerned they have caught it early Best wishes to your mother. I'm sure it is nothing serious.

My mother (55) was called for additional appointment as well, after a mammogram. They performed a direct puncture on her and took the sample. Turned out it was nothing.

They're just being careful.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I hope everything goes ok for your mam x

Thread Information