Thread: Mammogram & Breastfeeding...

Mammogram & Breastfeeding...

I went for my annual gyn checkup last January, 2015 and my OB/gyn told me that I should wait to get a mammogram until at least 6 months after I stop breastfeeding. I was 40 years old at the time and have never had a mammogram as I was 38 when I got pregnant, 39 when I had my son and I've been breastfeeding him since. He's now 27 months. I plan to stop breastfeeding him in April when he's 2 1/2.

Anyway, I went for my annual physical with my regular GP yesterday and he first sent a 4th year medical student in who asked a bunch of questions and I explained that the OB/gyn told me to wait when he asked about whether I'd had a mammogram. He responded with, "you can have a mammogram when you're breastfeeding." I explained that the results aren't accurate until after 6 month of cessation of breastfeeding. He seemed to not agree or he was clueless. Ten my actual Doctor came in and said it was "fine" for me to "defer" the mammogram until I finish breastfeeding.

Long story short...my HA is now going crazy because I feel like they think that I should've been getting mammograms this whole time! And that I've gone almost 2 years without a mammogram when I should've had one! I mean I followed my OB/gyn's advice! Ugh.

I'll be 42 in June, I have one 2nd degree relative that had breast cancer at age 59. She might even be a 3rd degree relative because she's my dad's half-sister. Other than that I do not have any other risk factors.

I'm probably over-reacting but it's all I've been thinking about since last night :/

Re: Mammogram & Breastfeeding...

I've been doing some reading and apparently the American Cancer Society recommends mammogram screening starting at 45 and other health groups suggest age 50+. The topic is definitely controversial but I guess I don't feel *as* panicked since there's evidence to suggest that screening as age 40 isn't necessary. Regardless I will definitely get one later this year after I've discontinued breastfeeding and things have had a chance to get back to normal.

Re: Mammogram & Breastfeeding...

I don't agree with "routine mammography" I think that the radiation is harmful and causes cancer.

Thread Information