Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about pancreatic cancer

Worried about pancreatic cancer

For past few days about mid afternoon I am getting a pain just below my left rib. I seem to have alot of noisy gurglings and poppings and the pain has stopped me sleeping.
    I was guessing it was a wind/bowel problem and I think I have had had this problem many years ago but I stupidly googled left rib pain and it came up with pancreatic cancer.
    My Dr was only a few weeks ago reassuring me that I did not have bone cancer as I am having shoulder problems!
    I am seeing him tomorrow about my shoulder problem and I so want to ask him for tests to rule out pancreatic cancer but I daren't tell him my fear so soon after the bone cancer one!
    Anyone else had pain under/round left rib and is still alive and kicking?

Re: Worried about pancreatic cancer

I've had exactly the same fears as you in the past. Pain under the left rib is quite common and usually linked to indigestion. I get it frequently!

Thanks for replying, much appreciated

I had that problem too. Still do last year I went through a PC and CCA scare because of it. Had blood work fecal occult test stool samples and an ultrasound all is well. My GI docs said it was skeletal muscular and not to worry about PC.

Thanks. Realistically I think it is either from my very bad back or my IBS and my husband says " oh have you got that again" because I have had it in the past and even ended up in hospital with it about 8 years ago.

Of course its the " what if this time" thats my problem!

I am exactly the same. I have probably had pain in that area on and off for the past 10 years. I often attribute it to pancreatic cancer too, but obvioulsy it can't be. Now I am starting to worry that by 'denying' pancreatic cancer, somehow I will get it.

Hi Pigeon - yes its the thought - as soon as I don't worry will be time I should worry- with this thought we def can't win can we!

Saw my GP today about my shoulder problem and am having a mri scan and had a long chat ( booked a double appt) about my long history of extreme pain and endless tests and hospital visits. He thinks I have fibromyalgia as well as my spinal problems but surprisingly he said that it isn't a good idea to get a label of this as its impossible to say yes or no and some Drs will then blame all pains on fibro. I asked him how I can know whether I should see a Dr or not and he said you can't know and I should just go and see him. He also said that if he thought I was wasting his time he would tell me which is good to know. He is very forthright which some people don't like but I like that I can discuss my fears with him.

I know this is an old thread, but I have this fear right now myself. I have had left shoulder pain for the past 4 weeks or so...nothing really horrible, but enough pain that I am very aggravated by it. I know I am an HA sufferer so I waited a few weeks and booked an appointment with an orthopedic on Thursday. However, over the weekend the pain has spread to my left shoulder blade and my left rib under the breast. Could this all be muscular? I am worried because from what I've read it could be spleen or pancreatic :( I hate to go to the orthopedic and have him do an MRI to find out it's nothing and then go have more tests with another doctor. Do you think the orthopedic would know anything about referred pain o the left shoulder if he doesn't believe it's muscle related? A little worried now..

Hi

Me too, the same strange feeling under my rib which is only really there when I sit down and my torso is 'crunched up' - almost like I've got a hernia, if I straighten up or hold the area it goes away. Sometimes I feel if I lost some weight it may go away. I've also been pretty constipated lately (a problem I've had off and on since childhood) which seems to make it worse.

If I'm sensible, I think it's to do with gas and digestion (I'm menopausal and I think one of the many symptoms is excessive wind!) but I have fears it's pancreatic cancer as every day you seem to hear about another celebrity or Daily Mail horror story related to this condition. I suppose it's because it's so hard to treat that it's one of the scariest.

Can I just ask, when you say left rib is that your left rib or left as if someone were looking at you? My strange feeling is under my right rib, or left if you were looking at me.

Mine is on my actual left side, which would be pancreatic related..hopefully it's just muscular

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information