Thread: Does having to go raise BP?

Does having to go raise BP?

Sounds gross but... does having to poo/pee raise your BP? I'm genuinely curious and I thought I heard this before but of course I refrain from googling anything health related.

Sorry if this grossed you out!
    “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

Count your blessings!

Re: Does having to go raise BP?

Nope... in fact, elimination tends to actually lower your BP from what I understand. Think of how good it feels when your done

I am curious though... what thought process led you to question or be concerned with this?

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 28-01-16 at 00:05.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Nope... in fact, elimination tends to actually lower your BP from what I understand. Think of how good it feels when your done

I am curious though... what thought process led you to question or be concerned with this?

Positive thoughts
    Ha... I had to go really bad and for some reason I thought of it. An anxious brain produces some weird thoughts...

I did mean before the fact that you had to go. Like if your bladder is full of pee or your bowels full of poop does it raise your bp?
    “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

Count your blessings!

Actually, when I need to poop sometimes I feel my heart rate goes up. I have Crohn's so pooping is more complicated for me than some people. Maybe the blood pressure does go up? If so, it's probably completely normal.

Physiologically, pushing to eliminate waste could technically increase your BP but not to the point of anything sinister.

You didn't answer my question... what is your thought process that leads you to believe this is sinister in any way?

Positive thoughts and poo threads
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

If you mean before you go, yes.

If you take your BP with a full bladder, your BP can be slightly higher than usual.

I would logically deduce that it would because if you are busting, your muscles will be working harder to hold it in until you get to the toilet & therefore need more blood to do said work...

Also, if you have to run to get to the toilet, your BP is probably up a bit then too

I would say the difference must be fairly negligible though, and likely only noticeable if you were monitoring it.

Thread Information