Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going Out/Drinking Alcohol

Re: Going Out/Drinking Alcohol

It's reassuring for me to see that other people find it hard to strike this balance.

It's really tricky, as I find that alcohol can be really useful as a way of helping me relax and ease into certain situations but also causes greater anxiety/depression and worse sleep.

I feel like I've got quite an ambivalent relationship with alcohol. I'm at a stage where the idea of doing out to get drunk just doesn't interest me. However, it is also one of the social activities I find most comfortable doing!

Definitely no easy solutions to this one...especially since people tend to get louder and more assertive when they've been drinking.

I completely sympathise with unspoken: it's a shame that wanting to be clear of alcohol has to be such an issue for some people.

I don't really like to drink that much either, but my friends are big drinkers so it can be hard. I try to do other things with them like shopping or hiking, but the bulk of what they do is alcohol related.

My solution has been to just pace myself. We usually 'pregame' before we go to the bars, so I'll mix myself a drink - one that is mostly pop, hardly any alcohol, but they don't know that. At the bars, I'll usually order one drink or maybe two, and just sip on it all night long. Sometimes they notice, but most of the time it's not a big deal.

I still feel kind of crummy the next day because lack of sleep does that to me, but I don't get drunk so I don't have to deal with an awful hangover at least.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

As a new member this is one of the threads I have found the most helpful, but also leads to other questions.

I am aware that I most likely have issues with alcohol, to put it simply I drink far too much when I do start to drink (I don't drink all the time! Only socially). I know why this is, I spend all day feeling physically tense, brain fog, palpitations etc and when I meet my friends in the pub and have those first couple of drinks, I do start to feel relaxed and comfortable in my own skin, so I crave that feeling more and more... so I drink more and more.

I know this is stupid and I need to change it. Those who have posted above about limiting your drinks and drinking soft drinks in between are absolutely right in my eyes as by allowing myself to go too far I am no longer in control, I don't want to be "drunk" I want to feel relaxed and happy and a couple of drinks is more than enough for that!

But what interests me here are the discussions on hangovers, I currently don't take any meds, but my hangovers are awful and my palpitations are so much worse when hungover. I think I have been in denial of this and told myself I am suffering from a hangover the same as anyone else would.. however reading this thread makes me realize alcohol and anxiety is not something to take lightly and having more control would probably lead to better managed symptoms longer term?

I know that its the alcohol causing the increased palpitations, but I wonder now how much more I may be being effected without realizing the few days after a night of heavy drinking! Its not really worth one night of feeling relaxed and comfortable if the after effects are much worse for days afterward.

I suppose the only way of knowing is cutting down long term and monitoring any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Medran0 View Post
    Well, for as much as I know it is highly recommended NOT to drink alcohol while you are on ANY drugs but i can say that you should be especially wary when it comes to DEPRESSION medications and alcohol since both of them can interfere with your brain and do... oh well, I guess only God knows what it can do and other people who went through it. I personally also suffer from Depression plus Anxiety, and I also take drugs, but I never risk drinking alcohol while I'm on them. having this said, since I have started on them - never drank anything at all (not even a beer). I'm trying to be very responsible since depression meds are no joke.
    Antidepressants work with areas of the brain e.g. SSRI's down regulate the receptors with long term use and increase re uptake of existing Serotonin through flooding & stimulation.

That's one example. They are not interfering with your brain, simply impacting on an existing process.

It's a responsible thing to do to say you will cut out our restrict alcohol, it's just not always necessary, but personal choice is to be respected.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Green Owl,

Alcohol causes your Serotonin to be used up much quicker and anxiety disorders and depression are known for showing lower levels of this. It doesn't affect us all but it could be this or a mixture of issues. I'm symptom focused with my GAD and physical sensations that never would have bothered me before have been a trigger for me through my anxiety so the mind can certainly are to a hangover, especially more sensitised you are i.e. the earlier in recovery you are.

So, really if you cause too much Serotonin to be used up in a night out your body will need to create more. But how will it do that to rebalance itself until you've eaten enough L-Tryptophan to give it the precursor? Remember too that this has to be eaten without composition from other amino acids so it's not a question of eating a high protein meal, your body needs carbs which encourage the L-Tryptophan to be used as opposed to carried away with the other amino acids. Eating L-Tryptophan without those amino acids will accomplish the same as eating it with carbs.

So, perhaps part of it is due to this? After all, we get prescribed SSRI's to reduce our use of Serotonin.

Alcohol also causes a bit of dopamine to be used too hence wanting more alcohol to keep that feeling going. Dopamine is part of the reward system and so this maybe why substance misusers keep chasing the high.

Thank you MyNameIsTerry

I am going to try cutting down, it wont be easy for me as I am from a family of big drinkers and my social groups are also big drinkers!

my biggest problem is even though i hate admitting this etc when i was younger i would go out drink that would be fine , then me and all my mates moved onto the white stuff when out drinking, unbelievably stupid, i firmly believe this brung all my anxiety back and is the reason i am anxious again as i went years without being anxious. all my friends still do it but i avoid it now as i cannot deal with 3-5 days of feeling like nervous wreck and also the health issus it can bring.

embarrassed to admit all that but best to be honest so you can understand why i am this way and how you can fix all this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information