Thread: Stress test

Stress test

Hi I had a stress test done on Tuesday. The doc has a quick look at results and said everything fine and chest pain not cardiac . My question is what does a stress test test for and would it show anything sinister going on.

Re: Stress test

Quote Originally Posted by ella32 View Post
    Hi I had a stress test done on Tuesday. The doc has a quick look at results and said everything fine and chest pain not cardiac . My question is what does a stress test test for and would it show anything sinister going on.
    As you know, you were wired up and they had you walk on a treadmill to put stress on your heart. When there is an issue with the heart muscle, it often will be exasperated under stress. Abnormalities in the electrical signals sent to the leads would pick up any such issues. And, if it was a nuclear stress test, you would be injected with a radioactive dye and images would be taken after the test. These would show potential abnormalities and/or blockages or potential blockages. It's a VERY thorough test.

I was having chest pain and had a nuclear stress test done about 6 months ago. While on the treadmill, I started having the aforementioned pain. The results showed increased abnormal activity at that time. While not sinister, it did show my angina was up a notch. Same treatment recommended, diet, exercise and a Nitro pill when it acted up. Next step would be a slow release nitro if it progresses.

So YES, with all certainty, it would have shown an issue. There is no physical basis for your chest pain which leaves it a symptom of anxiety. Treat the real illness and you treat the symptoms associated with it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It wasn't a nuclear one it was just normal stress test. I'm in middle of cbt so still just learning ways of controlling the thoughts and other symptoms. Xx

ella32, I think perhaps you should try really hard to replace thoughts of worry about your heart with 'this is just anxiety'.

With respect, you have had so many tests now on your heart. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting referred for a stress test, and I worked in health for 11 years!

You must have a very accommodating GP.

I think now you are demonstrating classic HA - had all the tests, been reassured nothing is wrong, but now moving on to the next worry about it not being a particular type of test. This is irrational, to be honest. Doctors KNOW what is a worry. Every working day they see sick AND well patients, and can distinguish between the two.

I truly hope CBT works for you. There is nothing wrong with your heart. Your chest pains are fuelled by anxiety. x

Stress test

How accurate is a normal stress test and what does it tell doctor. Had one done nearly two weeks ago but still having chest pain and palpitations. I'm struggling to cope with it to be honest I'm at the end of my tether with it all.

have merged your latest thread with a similar one posted last year.

I get it. I've also had a clear stress test as well as an echo and I continue to experience the symptoms (palpitations mostly). The thing is, it was not exacerbated by the stress test. Fishmanpa's advice is spot on, IMO.

He has issues (e.g. angina), and his stress test exacerbated the issue. I have what I THOUGHT were cardiac issues, but my stress test showed that is NOT the case. Sure, it could miss something, BUT I highly doubt it.

Thread Information