Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me start Lyrica

Help me start Lyrica

Went to my doc last week,
    i told him Lexapro does not do a thing with the physical symptoms of my anxiety, my sex drive is gone and why am i described SSRIs since i dont feel depressed?Only Xanax helps with tremors etc which i'm still taking before going out (0.25mg per day)

After an argument with him, he admitted SSRIs not working for me(Zoloft,Seroxat,Lexapro) neither SNRIs will, and he threw on the table Lyrica!In fact he was between Cymbalta and Lyrica but decided Lyrica.
    You can start with 50mg every night for 10 days and we'll see how it goes.
    He insisted it will help me.

I have the tablets next to me but i'm afraid taking them after reading the horror stories about Lyrica (tolerance, withdrawal etc)

Should i give Lyrica a try?Opinions please

I'm weaning off Lexapro at the moment, all good so far.

Re: Help me start Lyrica

Hi Misfits,

Pregabalin has a pretty good profile re tolerance and withdrawal. If it works, most people seem to find a level that they maintain quite happily over an extended period. There are horror stories for every med posted on the internet - they don't mean much.

Should you try it? It's worth a try - pregabalin works best for generalised anxiety, but may be helpful for other anxiety.

+1

As Hanshan says, if you look hard enough you will find horror stories about absolutely everything, including placebos. People shout about these, while the majority of people who meds work for just get on with their lives and say nothing about it.

Some of the horror stories around SSRIs, especially at start-up, have truth (I have been there), but my start-up experience of Preg was frankly wonderful; months of stupid, irrational wound-up tension and worry went in 24 hours.

I have been on it for 18 months now, on the same dose, and it gave me my life back. I would give it a try, as it seems to work for many more people than it does not.

Good luck!

Albert

Thanks for your replies guys,

i'm suffering from social phobia/anxiety which gives me teribble tremors in my legs/arms leading to panic attacks, thus i cant leave house without Xanax first.
    Once i take Xanax all is fine (0.25mg)

SSRIs did nothing, so we discussed on alternatives and he suggested Lyrica.

what dose are you on SmilingAlbert?

I have had some social phobia problems, for which pregabalin has been helpful. 50 mg is a very low dose - therapeutic range is currently put at 200 - 600 mg per day, but different people respond quite differently.

While on Lyrica, do you get that calm effect you take from benzos?

Did you gain any weight, become more hungry?
    Any sexual disfunction?

As i like go out, alcohol is a major factor for me;I can have two beers 3 hours after taking Xanax without feeling dizzy/drunk at all.
    Does this 3 hour gap apply for Lyrica as well?

hi misfits,

I am on 225mg - 150 at night, 75 in the AM

Can make you hungry, so be prepared to discipline yourself, esp. at first

no sexual problems

Booze not allowed in theory - reality is many people do in moderation, including me, with no problems. Booze may amplify effects though so aim to drink less than usual, and don't drive.

I agree with Albert's comments above, but I'd be worried if you wanted to combine a benzodiazepine, pregabalin and alcohol. It's not a sensible option.

+1

Apologies - missed the Xanax angle -

Yes mixing Preg, Xanax and booze is potentially very dangerous; many people seem to use Preg to wean themselves off benzos like Xanax, and it seems to be quite successful.

It is also medically more orthodox: many doctors wont prescribe benzos for long periods because of dependence etc., but have no problems with long-term prescriptions for Pregabalin.

There seems to be a lot online about the benzo->Preg journey, though of course be cautious as to what you believe as there are a lot of abusers of both medicines out there.

Albert

Thanks guys, i'll keep you updated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information