Thread: PLEASE HELP. Started seeing double/ghosted letters above white text

PLEASE HELP. Started seeing double/ghosted letters above white text

Hello.

For the last month I've been suffering extreme health anxiety about a hum I can hear in my head at night particularly at times of stress. Of course googling revealed this is either totally normal or something serious which has sent me into a panic for the last 4 weeks searching and searching all day for an answer because I'm afraid of visiting a Dr and getting referrals.

4 days ago I called the Dr and he told me it's not a red flag which in turn calmed me down and lo and behold the hum pretty much stopped.

NOW however I've noticed that for some reason when I read white text on black the letters are doubled slightly above the text. It clears up with a pinhole test and my eyes have been feeling dry and gritty in the last week but I'm TERRIFIED this is linked to the original problem and there's something seriously wrong.

I'm so scared of seeing a Dr and potentially having to get scans, procedures, surgery etc. I'm just looking reassurance at this stage but the fact this has seemingly popped up out of the blue is worrying according to google.

Thanks for listening.

EDIT: I should add, I'm male, 30, I use a computer all day, no other symptoms.
    Last edited by Jordan85; 31-01-16 at 11:50. Reason: Clarification

Re: PLEASE HELP. Started seeing double/ghosted letters above white text

Sounds like you need nothing more than an eye test. You may be suffering from slight eye strain caused by sitting on a computer all day. Certainly doesn't sound like anything at all serious.

Thanks for replying Gary. The bit that concerns me is that I already wear glasses for seeing things at longer distances, eg TV screen, whiteboards etc. But this new glare symptom has appeared seemingly out of nowhere and it affects things up close and far away.

I'm not 100% sure but my eyes have felt dryer recently at the end of a day and it's felt like there's something in them from time to time. My left eye has had a minor twitch for the last week but it's something I can almost bring on psychologically. Could it be eye fatigue? Too much devices? Dry eye syndrome? I'm just frightened it's something serious.

This happens to me when I need to update my glasses. Using a computer a lot can cause dry eyes and eyestrain and fatigue. Try using some eyedrops and regular breaks from the computer and have a sight test ☺

The hum could be from your computer if you sit at it all day you can think you are also hearing it all night as well.

The ghosting could be nothing much or it could be keratoconus which causes this problem.

Thank you folks so much! I've started taking eye drops and it seems to be making a noticeable difference! It does seem to be a fatigue or strain sort of thing as you have suggested - now the ghosting is nowhere near as bad and in some cases it's been gone completely!

Thank you again!

Thread Information