Thread: Pupils Different

Unhappy Pupils Different

Okay, so I am recovering from HA but I recently had a small scare...

I have noticed that my right pupil is slightly larger than the left. Anyone else freaked out about/noticed this with themselves??

Of course, I googled about it hoping to see that it was no big deal... but then it starts listing brain bleeds, tumors, etc etc. I just had blood work (all good) but have not had a CT, MRI or anything... Now I'm kind of freaking out... Eye exam a couple months ago said all clear... Holding it together the best I can. If anyone has any experience with this, please comment!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Pupils Different

I think its pretty common to have slight differences in pupil size, My left seems bigger then my right during the day and the other way around in the evening. I am also in the brain tumor fear but had a clear ct scan few days ago.

I think that if there was an actual issue one or both would be completely blown out as in when you have eyes dilated by an eye dr and not react to light at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
    I think its pretty common to have slight differences in pupil size, My left seems bigger then my right during the day and the other way around in the evening. I am also in the brain tumor fear but had a clear ct scan few days ago.

I think that if there was an actual issue one or both would be completely blown out as in when you have eyes dilated by an eye dr and not react to light at all.
    Very good point Vigilante! My mom said the same thing... Actually her words were ''I believe they mean one being the size of a pencil eraser and the other being the size of a watermelon" LOL bless me.

Seeing it on here typed out makes me feel better too. I'm a goofball Thanks for your reply. I know I'm okay!

Yeah exactly that, either one is massive and not responsive or one is tiny and also not responsive. Think we are both safe on that score and its just the over anxious mind looking for things. ☺

This was once a large fear of mine. My right is noticeably bigger than my left in any shade of light other than very bright. I too was worried about a brain tumour and the GP couldn't even notice it. Nobody believed me and it was very stressful as I KNEW they were different.
    I mentioned it again at my eye test a few weeks ago and she confirmed it and said if they still react to light then it's nothing to worry about. She even mentioned David Bowies to me although his is an extreme case.
    I was told it was probably from an eye injury or infection and the fibres have been damaged but it is of no clinical significance and nothing to worry about.

Hi, I've had this recently. I've been checked out by an optometrist and had an mri as I've been having headaches. Nothing was found, sometimes it just happens with nothing sinister behind it !

Quote Originally Posted by the_anxious_mind View Post
    Okay, so I am recovering from HA but I recently had a small scare...

I have noticed that my right pupil is slightly larger than the left. Anyone else freaked out about/noticed this with themselves??

Of course, I googled about it hoping to see that it was no big deal... but then it starts listing brain bleeds, tumors, etc etc. I just had blood work (all good) but have not had a CT, MRI or anything... Now I'm kind of freaking out... Eye exam a couple months ago said all clear... Holding it together the best I can. If anyone has any experience with this, please comment!

Thanks in advance!

I've had a cat scan cause I have different sized pupils :-)

Anxiety can alter pupil size because when I was going for a cat scan, I was in full panic mode and went from a darkened room
    To the bright white scanning room and the radiologist said my pupils were two different sizes. Then I really neeeded to be calmed down! I went to the doctor the next day for my results and told him how the radiologist freaked me out and he shone the light in my eyes and all was fine. So I have no doubt that adrenaline can do this.
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Thread Information