Thread: Surgery

Surgery

So- Ive managed to get through the first 61 years of my life with just a Tonsillectomy at age 5. But therein lays the problem. In those days, my father tricked me to go to the doctors office for something mundane. When we arrived he placed me on his knee and held me tightly while the doctor bolted from an adjoining room with what looked like a tea strainer filled with ether. I panicked and struggled- felt like I was being killed- that I had done something horrible and now they were getting rid of me. Sort of being placed in the electric chair for a crime you never knew you committed. I struggled and broke away and ran across the room right through a plate glass door, cut myself profusely and kept running until the effects of the ether took over and I eventually collapsed. They got my tonsils and adenoids out. That's all I remember.

About a month ago I started feeling pain in my knee. It was bad... couldn't event walk. Had to drag my leg. It was swollen. Thought it was arthritis. Finally last week went to see an orthopedic surgeon. An MRI was done and I have a bad meniscus tear in my knee. I need outpatient surgery. The doctor said it would take 30 minutes and in 3 days I could go back to work in much less pain that I have now and in a week could be out doing my normal routine. BUT I am so terrified of general anesthesia (can you blame me after my youthful experience) that I am trying to figure out what else to do besides surgery. I guess there isn't anything else to do to correct a mechanical problem. Creams, potions, elixirs, drugs, wont solve the problem. They need to go in and take out the offending ligament. I am afraid of the whole being put under experience. I am in good health otherwise and not on any medication. But I am panicking. I hope someone reads this and comments. Thanks.

Re: Surgery

I can certainly understand your fears..... I was feeling a little anxious reading about your experience. I'm probably facing gallbladder surgery will have Hida scan on Thursday and may know after that. I'm having a lot of anxiety about surgery, but usually get some practical advice from my dad, lol. He always says it frankly........it won't get better on it's own. So I've accepted that I can't continue like this and since doing that I'm more relaxed. Still nervous about recovery, though.

On a positive note, I was terrified to have endoscope / colonoscopy recently, but found the sleep so refreshing I couldn't understand why they had to wake me so soon after.

Re: Surgery

tricky

Thread Information