Thread: Woke up in the worst panic attack of my life going crazy

Woke up in the worst panic attack of my life going crazy

I'm having to the worst panic attack in my whole life. I just woke up in a cold sweat . This has to be the worst . Pease someone help me. I'm terrified

Re: Woke up in the worst panic attack of my life going crazy

I understand exactly how you feel. But remember that it will pass no matter what. I read somewhere that the longest a person can panic for is 10 minutes. This may or may not be true, but the point is that it is temporary. If you just remember that this has to end and cannot go forever it may help. That thought always helps me!

I woke up in a cold sweat I woke up feeling hot and cold. This is terrify me . I'm so scared .
    I cannot fall asleep cause I don't want another night sweat . Im forcing myself to stay awake .

I don't know what time it is where you are but if it's the middle of the night and you are alone, please get up, find something distracting to do to try and relax a bit? I have had terrible panic attacks lately so I know it's almost unbearable but distraction can help a bit. I keep plenty of clean laundry in the basket for such times as folding it is a good distraction.

I hope this passes for you soon!

And, in my experience, Panic attacks can last a lot longer than 10 minutes, but never forever.

Hugs

The worst panic attacks I have ever had have happened just after waking up. They feel so much more scary because you are still in that half asleep and dazed state. Those panics feel like they will never end but they always do though I often don't feel right for hours, even days after that kind of panic. The best advice I can give you is to eat and drink something as soon as you feel up to it and move about - walk up and down the stairs or around the house and that'll help you wake up a bit and burn off some adrenaline and just remember it will definitely come to an end even though it doesn't feel like it.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

I feel for you, stressedanxious. I understand how HORRENDOUS these waking up panic attacks are.....I think this is the worst time to have one.

When I had my breakdown in 2003, I was exactly like you. I would wake up with my heart thumping out of my chest, nail marks in my palms where I had been clenching my fists in my sleep, sweat pouring off me. I was paralysed with fear, and could not calm down for what seemed an eternity.

I must agree with everyone here - the best way to counteract this feeling is to get straight up, walk around, make yourself a hot drink, watch some tv, ANYTHING that distracts your brain. Sitting quietly will just add fuel to the fire....too much time to think about how bad you feel, and increase the symptoms.

Do also try to believe and tell yourself that you will not be like this forever. You can move past the most severe and automatic panic attacks. I thought I never would, but it can happen. xx

Thread Information