Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Re: Reading

Im currently reading a lot of poetry on a course for mindfulness and literature

Poetry is a lot easier to read as it's smaller chunks of prose

If I have time I make myself read for an hour - then I will decide whether to continue.
    It doesnt matter to me if I take in what I read at first but it is just getting into the habit of it - I will read whether my heart is racing or not - I know it wil calm down eventually. More often than not I decide to carry on reading after the hour.

I've managed to read a couple of chapters of The Jonah. I'm a little disappointed as I read the reviews on Amazon and it seems this book may not be a typical horror but more of a horror-thriller.
    Oh well I can't leave a book after I've started so may aswell try to like it. mezzanine door, I wish I liked poetry as they certainly are handy when you don't have much concentration. Pinksky I usually can't put a book down if I like it even when I allocate reading time.

I'm also from Liverpool MrsCav, although I've not lived there for many years but recently finnished reading a book of poems by John McGoven, one of the members of The Scaffold who were a pop band in the 60s. I also love anything written by Ian Hislop's wife Victoria because she weaves fact into her fiction and I love that combo. I'm halfway through her book of short stories set in small Mediterranean villiages, sometimes it's easier to read these when I'm having trouble concentrating.

ISB

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    I'm also from Liverpool MrsCav, although I've not lived there for many years but recently finnished reading a book of poems by John McGoven, one of the members of The Scaffold who were a pop band in the 60s. I also love anything written by Ian Hislop's wife Victoria because she weaves fact into her fiction and I love that combo. I'm halfway through her book of short stories set in small Mediterranean villiages, sometimes it's easier to read these when I'm having trouble concentrating.

ISB
    Is the Victoria Hislop one good? I bought my mum that for Xmas. I didn't realise she was Ian's wife!

I quite fancy this Victoria Hislop book ... off to Amazon to have a looky! I'm well on my way to finishing The Husbands Secret. That has amazing reviews on Amazon but I'm not that keen. I'm sure it's because it's set in Australia and a main character sells Tupperware and I think who the diddly makes a career from selling Tupperware, but maybe you do in Australia.

I still believe - you are from the best city in the world! Me on the other hand, I have the good fortune to live here but I'm not from here. If you can't tell, I love Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsCav View Post
    I quite fancy this Victoria Hislop book ... off to Amazon to have a looky! I'm well on my way to finishing The Husbands Secret. That has amazing reviews on Amazon but I'm not that keen. I'm sure it's because it's set in Australia and a main character sells Tupperware and I think who the diddly makes a career from selling Tupperware, but maybe you do in Australia.

I still believe - you are from the best city in the world! Me on the other hand, I have the good fortune to live here but I'm not from here. If you can't tell, I love Liverpool.
    We get called scousers sometimes down in Oatcake land (SOT).

I always thought Tupperware was code for women's parties involving rude toys and men wearing very little

Victoria Hislop's was quite cheap when it came out so it should be well priced even on hardback. I got the hardback with it being cheap and that was in Tesco. To be honest, like I said before I buy a lot of second hand ones now because I took a chance the previous Xmas and found that most are actually in really good condition. My mum doesn't mind and she gets more as I can stretch the budget further. I've had quite a few that turn up looking brand new.

I looked at The Husbands Secret for my mum but I was put off by the varied reviews.

Really?! I've never heard of anyone from SOT being referred to as a Scouser. I get called a wool as I'm not from here. Anyone who isn't born in Merseyside is a wool.

LOL at the Tupperware parties, maybe it is a innuendo, who knows! Yeah, I must admit I wouldn't recommend The husbands Secret, now The Girl on the Train is probably the best book I have read in a long long time. It's being made into a film. Although the films are never as good I am really hoping they keep to the book.

I buy a lot of second hand books, in fact I am off for a mooch around the charity shops in a min (when they open) and that's how I buy my books. I like to read the reviews on Amazon so I get the general gist of what the book is about.

Yes, I always have a read of the reviews. I look for connected authors too and Amazon is pretty good for that. My mum used to stick to her favourites but we tried a few connected authors and she has broadened out a lot. She likes taking a chance on new authors too. She did that with June Hampson and has had them all since.

She gives a lot of hers to the Douglas MacMillan Hospice shop. It's worth having a look, you can find some interesting reads in those places.

I think I've seen The Girl on the Train in Tesco not long ago. Is it something about a woman taking a child home that she finds? I seem to recall it looked good.

Where does wool come from? I'm not sure we have a term around here but Magic might put me straight on that one.

The funny thing was, it was actually a scouser who said it to me once. He was the new top boss at a company I worked at as a young man. He asked me looking interested and I replied a little too strongly "NO" I think, without thinking or meaning anything, and his face did change (Ooops!)

I'm not sure where the term wool comes from, something to do with being a woolly back (sheep) ... it's what the scousers use to call the Welsh, but nowadays if you're not from Liverpool you're a wool.

I found a Victoria Hislop book, The Return. It's next on my list to try. I paid the grand sum of 25p. I do love a charity shop book hunting session. I volunteer in a charity shop so I tend to give all my unwanted stuff to our shop.

Girl on the Train is based around a girl who travels into London every day on the train and as the train travels down the track she watches people just doing their normal day to day stuff in their houses .... or are they?!?!? Or is she just watching them?!?!? It is worth a read if you find it.

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information