Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Reading

Does anyone find reading helps take their mind off things but it's just so hard to actually pick up a book (or e reader in my case) and read?
    I've been trying to read loads this year (and 2015) as it was something I've always done and it's just getting harder and harder. I'll read a chapter or two then weeks later go back to it and have to re-read it as I've forgotten what it said.
    I've read a bit today and will do so again shortly I just don't get how it's do hard to get into a book when I like reading so much!
    Last edited by KeeKee; 05-02-16 at 17:40. Reason: Added something

Re: Reading

I love reading. But when I'm anxious I find my mind starts to wander so I have to really concentrate. But like you, I'm forcing myself to read a bit more each day so I will build my concentration up.

It's very difficult isn't it? I've read a little today and am hoping I'll read some more when I've finished stuffing my face.
    Do you prefer a particular type of book? I like supernatural (mainly ghost stories really) but I'm a bit of a wimp and my mind goes nuts when I need to go to the toilet hehe or walking past mirrors.

I will read anything, I like true crimes, thrillers, chicklit, the ones set in the olden days ... anything really. I have The Husbands Secret on the go and the follow up to JoJo Moyes Me before you, After you is next on my list. But then I also have a book of murders that took place in Liverpool (where I live) in the 1800's.

I love to watch Most Haunted and as much as I know most of it is set up, I won't look in a mirror or down the room when I am turning the light out haha ... silly, but I cant help it.

What are you reading?

Haha that's what I'm like I can no longer watch programmes like that even adverts I saw one the other day I think it may have been Insidious or something it creeped me out.
    Ah I like thrillers too, my favourite (from memory I've pretty much forgotten the storylines) is Cody MacFadyen's books.
    I also like True Crime I like watching the likes of The First 48 on TV too.

I'm currently reading This House is Haunted by John Boyne.

I don't like horror films at all. I can jump when my husband walks into the house! So me and horrors just don't mix at all. But I did like those Final Destination films. I could watch those.

I remember as a teenager reading a Doris Stokes book, she was a medium, and my God, it kept me awake all blinking night!!

I have told myself tonight, after BB has gone off, I am reading! 1 chapter, so no pressure but if I can read more I will.

Yes one chapter is a good goal. That's what I was recommended by my CBT therapist when I told them I couldn't push myself into reading.
    I watched those films too I thought the first one was really good but was gutted the main character was killed between the first and second films. I couldn't watch them now though.

I know what you mean, KeeKee. I got into reading every night in bed and it helped me. Since last years I have been struggling with it. I pick it up for a while but can't seem to keep it going at the moment with other things getting in the way.

I've got about 25 books to get through now. Mostly historical fiction, some fantasy, some action.

Wow that's a lot of books to get through!
    Do you find it harder to get into books also? I do, I've always wanted to read loads of Stephen King but it took ages to get into the ones I've read (Shining, Salems Lot, Pet Sematary), I find I tend to skim some days rather than actually read it properly.
    I did read a chapter before bed I was too tired to read anymore which was good as I thought being so tired would mean I'd sleep through the whole night, alas I was wrong and woke up around 4. Couldn't get back to sleep and so read another chapter. I'm starting to want to know what happens next so I'll probably find myself wanting to read rather than forcing myself to.

This is something that really gets me down.
    I love reading. Like, it's my life. I'm doing a bloody English degree for crying out loud.

I can't read any more. I miss it. I want to want to read. Someone's stolen my love for it.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information