Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Re: Reading

Im re-reading Dirk Gently by Douglas Adams
    Very underrated imho
    Some of its a lot funnier than Hitch Hikers and I love the premise of the Detective

Eric by Terry Pratchett.

Im reading the Ruth Galloway books at the moment.
    Set in my home county.
    Though my muddied head means that Im finding it hard to read at the moment.

Have just read Nearest thing to Crazy, by Elizabeth Forbes. Was very good. Had it on my Amazon wish list for a year then accidentally bought it the other week for the kindle, which was annoying as I have a Nook

Snuff by Terry Pratchett

The Truth by Terry Pratchett.

Thief Of Time by Terry Pratchett.

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett.

This one is shaping up to be the best I've read in a while.

Terry, theres a theme to your Reading.
    In recent months I have read:-
    Star Trek: Headlong Flight *** nice Enterprise D & E crossover, fun hokum
    Dathan Auerbach: Penpal *** very different, didnt quite engage fully
    The Happiness Equation ** mostly twaddle
    Dennis Taylor: We are Legion We are Bob **** great fun
    Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet **** great fun, Adamsesque
    Robert Shearman: they do the same things different here ***** Brilliant short stories
    Sylvain Newval: Sleeping Giants *** very odd but engaging book, great ideas perhaps not fully realised
    Nina Stibbe: Paradise Lodge *** fun diary type book, well written, prob not quite my cup of tea though
    Al Ewing: The Fictional Man ***** Brilliant novel, very leftfield but concepts are well realised

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

some other books I read before the above batch:-

James Patterson – The End & Malicious *** Good holiday reads, Page turners, they are what they are, bookshots
    Robin Ince – Dead Funny ** Dissapointing horror from known comedians
    Neal Stephenson – Reamde **** A tough but rewarding read as Stephensons books generally are
    Wilkie Martin – Inspector Hobbes and the Curse *** Fun hokum, perhaps a little overlong for its content
    Mick Herron – Dead Lions *** A book that starts well but then seems to dry up, interesting premise though
    Paul Cornell – Chalk ***** Paul Cornells book about a troubled youth makes for a great book, both a character you warn to and dislike at the same time
    Si Spurrier – Unusual Concentrations **** leftfield book from comic book writer Spurrier
    Luke Smitherd – Kill Someone **** Smitherd writes odd books, this is no different and is a real page turner, would you Kill Someone
    Chris Brookmyre – Black Widow **** Brookmyres Parlabane creation is a flawed journalist but makes for another great book
    Sarah Pinborough – 13 Minutes *** A good book with a clever central idea but not as good as Sarahs other books
    Andrzei Sapkowski – Sword of Destiny **** The Witcher is a great character and really works well in these short stories

Yeah Tony, I've bought nearly every one of his books in the last couple of years after I started on one of the Discworld & younger readers series. Got about 15 or so to go. Then it's the Long Earth & Long Mars ones. There are a couple of others co authored too.

Then I've got a load of other authors to catch up on e.g. Scarrow, Giles Kristian, Rick Riordan, etc.

My GF bought me the Iliad not long ago. I've read it before and it's quite heavy going.

I read one of Mary Renault's too. Obviously this was from some time ago and it's reflected in her writing style. Very good.

That's an interesting list you've got there.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information