Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Re: Reading

The Rum Diary - Hunter S Thompson

Hunter S Thompson is a good read Jamie.

Terry, yes I try to read quite electically as well as reading some pulp stuff like Doctor Who and Star Trek just for fun.

I find when my head is not quite with it, travel books are a nice easy read (ironic for someone with agoraphobia)
    Bill Bryson, Paul Theroux, Tony Horwitz etc . No complicated plots to follow or deep meaningful passages to struggle with.

Have not done much reading lately. The last one was by Davina Macall. I like autobiographies. I use the Library if possible as some have voluntary workers because of closures. I have also read Victoria Hislop The Island, and one of my favourite books is Songbird by Sebastian Faulks. My husband has taken over the bookshelves with books by Lee Childs, James Patterson, Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin.

I liked 'Songbird' when I read it, was possibly a little high brow for me though, a literary novel.

I love Ian Rankin's Rebus & Peter Robinson's Banks as characters, haven't quite got into Lee Child and haven't read any Victoria Hislop ( is she related to Ian ? ).

I like biographies but not tell-alls, I like to read about interesting lives I guess, I would like to find a really readable Fantasy trilogy as I have struggled with quite a few of those in recent times, haven't managed to get across Game of Thrones as books as yet.

Terry - I should have said that I really enjoy the Terry Pratchett books though I have mainly listened to them read by Nigel Planer and Tony Ropbinson

I've a short story on my e reader that I'm going to attempt to read soon. It's called 'Eli's town' it was free or very cheap on Amazon.

I haven't heard the audios but I've got the 3 they made floor TV to watch, Tony. The younger readers ones are good, lighter but with the same charm.

GOT can be a bit heavy. I've read the first one so far. If that's a issue at the moment, Martin more recently started a new trilogy and it's a far lighter read. A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms is the first, which I've read. It's a good book and features some of the families but it's set 100 years earlier. It should be out on paperback by now but I don't think the next one is out yet.

If you like Greek sword & sandals fayre, Christian Cameron's Killer of Men and Marathon are very good. I've not read the next two yet. More like Scarrow/Cornwell.

Joe Abercrombie's Heroes is very good. It had me laughing, especially one character in it where the medieval swearing just takes you by surprise. I've not read his others yet but I'll admit to liking the look of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    I liked 'Songbird' when I read it, was possibly a little high brow for me though, a literary novel.

I love Ian Rankin's Rebus & Peter Robinson's Banks as characters, haven't quite got into Lee Child and haven't read any Victoria Hislop ( is she related to Ian ? ).

I like biographies but not tell-alls, I like to read about interesting lives I guess, I would like to find a really readable Fantasy trilogy as I have struggled with quite a few of those in recent times, haven't managed to get across Game of Thrones as books as yet.

Terry - I should have said that I really enjoy the Terry Pratchett books though I have mainly listened to them read by Nigel Planer and Tony Ropbinson
    Yes, Victoria is Ian's wife mez

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Have not done much reading lately. The last one was by Davina Macall. I like autobiographies. I use the Library if possible as some have voluntary workers because of closures. I have also read Victoria Hislop The Island, and one of my favourite books is Songbird by Sebastian Faulks. My husband has taken over the bookshelves with books by Lee Childs, James Patterson, Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin.
    My mum used to read James Patterson. The Alex Cross books I remember, they did some films with Morgan Freeman as Cross. They were good.

If I've got it right, is The Island where a young woman goes to research her grandmother's life and learns from the town about the island with the lepers on it? If so, I've bought my mum that one a while ago.

I think she also wrote a compilation of short stories base around Italy?

Been reading Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards. My head hurts.

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information