Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Re: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by MrsCav View Post
    I love reading. But when I'm anxious I find my mind starts to wander so I have to really concentrate. But like you, I'm forcing myself to read a bit more each day so I will build my concentration up.
    I find that my anxiety causes me quite a few problems ...
    anxiety means can only read in short bursts
    anxiety means I find it really hard to even decide what to read

I find that reading magazines/newspapers with articles in them are easier at these times

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    anxiety means I find it really hard to even decide what to read

I find that reading magazines/newspapers with articles in them are easier at these times
    Yes, I have this too. Having a lot of things to watch or read tends to cause me a fair bit of ambivalence. Sometimes I feel like there is nothing and sometimes I feel like there is too much to choose from. Anxiety can be a crossroads a lot of the time with 2 voices.

Smaller articles can be easier but even then when anxiety is higher or you are agitated, it can be hard to concentrate enough to get through even posts on here.

---------- Post added at 07:37 ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    Wow that's a lot of books to get through!
    Do you find it harder to get into books also? I do, I've always wanted to read loads of Stephen King but it took ages to get into the ones I've read (Shining, Salems Lot, Pet Sematary), I find I tend to skim some days rather than actually read it properly.
    I did read a chapter before bed I was too tired to read anymore which was good as I thought being so tired would mean I'd sleep through the whole night, alas I was wrong and woke up around 4. Couldn't get back to sleep and so read another chapter. I'm starting to want to know what happens next so I'll probably find myself wanting to read rather than forcing myself to.
    Yes, I do. It's come in the last year though as before that I was more settled into it.

Stephen King has a new hardback out and it's a collection of short stories. Perhaps that might be worth a go?

Yes I've started reading a book in the gaps that I usually do nothing, to keep my mind busy. I read in my break at work too - Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith. Very enjoyable

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Quote Originally Posted by PanchoGoz View Post
    Yes I've started reading a book in the gaps that I usually do nothing, to keep my mind busy. I read in my break at work too - Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith. Very enjoyable
    That's good to hear, that's in my pile to read

So, I made a promise I was going to read a chapter and I did .... I got half way through the second chapter before I realised I wasn't really taking it in but carried on. I am now half way through the book and had to go back and re-read the first two chapters. But for yonks I've been wanting to read and not felt I could, so I feel pretty good right now.

I read myself. When I feel in the mood.
    My husband sits with a book nearly all day.
    Does my head in

if you need to be led to short articles to read an App like Zinio can help
    1) It curates articles by certain topics
    2) It allows you to download magazines from your local library if you register for that

I see there are many of us in a similar situation.
    MrsCav, it's great you managed to read so much. I managed to finish my book off late on Friday night (but not before my Nook decided to reset itself and erase all the books I hadn't purchased through the Nook store! Grrrr).
    Terry that's a great idea about his short stories. I believe I have it on my computer somewhere from when my Dad got it and asked me to transfer it onto his Kindle. I'll convert it and put it on mine.
    I'm also going (well hopefully) to read The Jonah by James Herbert

How do you guys motivate yourself to do it? How do you get the concentration?

I tend to start reading a book when I'm on the bus. It's usually a ten minute bus ride and I always take my e reader and usually read a chapter going there and a chapter coming back then when I get home I'm more likely to read.
    Today I've been stuck in all day and been wanting to read since dinnertime. I'm going to force myself to read just a few chapters before I have to go to the school in an hour.

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

Also my concentration usually improves once I get interested in a book. I never really enjoy the beginning of a book.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information