Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading

Re: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    You are in for a treat
    The Peter Grant novels are a fantastic run
    I’ve had the 1st one for years but have never read it, now for some reason it feels like the right time!

I recently read The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, which was really great. I felt like some nonfiction so I'm working on Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich. It's basically a collection of interviews with people across the former Soviet Union and over many years chronically their experience with its fall. It's both incredibly informative and moving.

I've got a few of the Aaronvitch books on my shelf to read. Are they good then? They were a present but not my normal genre.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I've got a few of the Aaronvitch books on my shelf to read. Are they good then? They were a present but not my normal genre.
    It took me longer to get into than I’d have liked. I’m going to read the 2nd because there was enough I liked about the 1st to keep me involved. Do you like London? Because it’s set there and I know the area well because I worked there, but it could be annoying if you hate London....
    Clever ideas, nice little characters. 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    It took me longer to get into than I’d have liked. I’m going to read the 2nd because there was enough I liked about the 1st to keep me involved. Do you like London? Because it’s set there and I know the area well because I worked there, but it could be annoying if you hate London....
    Clever ideas, nice little characters. 3/5
    Thanks Scass, I guess I will have to see how I take to them. My GF likes them and she is into many of the same genres as me. She mentioned the writing was more the hook for her. I'm fine with London, I read plenty of books set in any location so I'm not fussed either way. It may even stop me getting lost if I'm down there in future as I can point to where someone was murdered or chased to find my bearings

Thanks Scass, I guess I will have to see how I take to them. My GF likes them and she is into many of the same genres as me. She mentioned the writing was more the hook for her. I'm fine with London, I read plenty of books set in any location so I'm not fussed either way. It may even stop me getting lost if I'm down there in future as I can point to where someone was murdered or chased to find my bearings
    Ha! That would definitely help

Proxima by Stephen Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
    Funnuly enough I saw this in Poundland today! They have books in anyway but they are now stocking recover books and they have some well known ones in.

Funnuly enough I saw this in Poundland today! They have books in anyway but they are now stocking recover books and they have some well known ones in.

Ive not seen recovered books stocked anywhere locally before, except market stalls that seem to price them a bit too high, at £2 & £3 per book often, I'm guessing that Poundland have gone with the requisite £1 pricing

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Ive not seen recovered books stocked anywhere locally before, except market stalls that seem to price them a bit too high, at £2 & £3 per book often, I'm guessing that Poundland have gone with the requisite £1 pricing
    Yep, they have. They all look in very good condition. The first two Discworld, Samsom, Phillippa Gregory, Jackie Collins, etc so some well known names.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread Information