Thread: Itchy Bottom Colonoscopy

Itchy Bottom Colonoscopy

Hi there
    I have suffered with an itchy bottom for a few years now, on and off. I had a Sigmoidoscopy in 2013 which came back clear thankfully, just showed internal piles which were banded. I have had the itch back now for around a year and have tried lots of creams, I was referred to a Dermatologist and again to Colorectal. I was patch tested at the Dermatologist and have an allergy to Propyl Gallate, this is a preservative in food and also some medications. I stopped using anything on my skin in the anal area and it cleared a bit but is still there.
    I am awaiting a Colonoscopy as I have Crohns in my immediate family. My brother and niece have it, my mum had Diverticulitis and IBS. I am really worried now, and just want some answers. The itch is really really bad at times and feels like it's coming from inside. It causes me to lose sleep and I am trying everything to try and manage it until I find out what is wrong. I have had some slight bleeding when going to the toilet, but no change to my toilet habits. I have been googling Perianal Crohns and this is my worry.
    Many thanks for listening and any advice would be appreciated.
    Lisa xx

Re: Itchy Bottom Colonoscopy

Hi Lisa,

I have Crohn's too and one of the symptoms I have struggle with most at times is the itchy bum, it really can drive you mad!

I haven't had it for a while as my Crohn's is settled at the moment but there were times I was out of my mind with it. Like you, it stopped me sleeping.

I tried various treatments, some medical and some not but you know the only thing that really helped? Ice cubes! Sounds daft, but itchiness is essentially heat + pain as far as skin sensors go, so I had a brainwave about the heat.

If you sit on the loo and pop an icecube up there for a few seconds it will probably push it's way out and you do it again. I used to do this before I went to bed and it worked miracles!

The gastro doc had no good explanation for it.

It only happened when I had regular bouts of diarrhoea.

Hope this heklps

Hi there
    Thank you for you reply, I shall give that a go. I think heat does make it worse, I have an electric blanket and if I turn it on it makes it worse. Do you have Perianal Crohns?
    I don't really have any other symptoms, I just want answers now and I think I will cope better with the problem.
    Many thanks Lisa xx

Hi Lisa,

My Crohns is in my small intestine but I have had the itchiness in the anal region. Doctor could se no signs of anything.

I hope the ice works!

Thread Information