Thread: Just joined forum

Just joined forum

Hi,My user name is Goss I have just found this forum after frantically searching for anxiety,
    I have been a long term sufferer of panic and anxiety in 2010/11 I had a nervous breakdown and my doctor put me on antidepressants propranolol and a tranquilliser thankfully the latter 2 I no longer need, and I am on 10mg of citalopram now,
    Tonight I have felt very anxious has I have a cold and I get a phobia of no sense of smell and taste, also blocked nose, may sound silly, but stems back from 9 years ago when I had a bad flu virus, and when I get a common cold I start with severe panic attacks I have to have my bedroom window open in case I feel trapped, and that I need to escape, may sound silly, but the fear is intense, I can't sleep,
    I hope people on this forum can help my anxiety
    Goss

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Goss and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Just joined forum

Hi Goss,
    You don't sound silly at all. We all suffer from something. I'm sorry that yours is linked with colds as they are very common so must be hard for you. I've got a cold at the moment which isn't helping my breathing and making me panic, therefor I'm not sleeping either. Fell asleep fine but been up since 12ish now. What do you do when you can't sleep?

Hi Mi,Thank you for your reply, and sorry you have a cold, also, when I can't sleep I try to read or use the Internet, sometimes try to take my mind off things, I do find it very difficult to distract myself from fear,
    I am lucky I don't get a lot of colds, but when I do I start with panic attacks like if I can't breathe or die in my sleep has my nose is blocked, I know that is unlikely but the fear is there, which makes my panic worse,
    I ended up sleeping on the couch last night, has I could not sleep in bed, for some reason,
    Goss

It's very hard to distract yourself isn't it, especially as you know you're doing something to try to distract yourself if that makes sense lol.
    I'm going to persevere with reading I think.
    Aw you poor thing, that can't be nice at all. I know that what I say won't have an impact on how you feel but you can breath, you'll just notice it more when you've got a cold and the panic will kick in making it harder for you.
    Have you seen a therapist about this? X

Hi mi
    I had cognitive behavioural therapy back in 2011 for my anxiety and I found it worked in some ways, but I still get so on edge when I have a cold,
    This has happened for years now, I find my blocked nose gets worse at night and just come to bed and now can't sleep once again, so I picked up the iPad and decided to come on the forum,
    I tried to distract myself today, by going for a walk in the fresh air that helped fir a while, but has darkness fell, my fears came back,
    I suffer from seasonal effective disorder a lot, and on antidepressants for it, I was doing okay until I hot this cold,
    I hope you manage to read, to take your mind of your cold, is so difficult, good to have someone to talk to who doesn't think I am silly,
    Regards
    Goss

Maybe sleeping on the sofa will help you. I find the air better downstairs and you are propped up more so it's easier to breath normally. Maybe a bath before bed will help to clear your nose.
    I'm sorry cognitive therapy didn't fully work for you.
    I'm finding myself constantly picking up the iPad to come on here. Find it very helpful.
    Walking is a good idea. I was talking to my mum about the fear of darkness - I feel alone when it's dark even though there are people still around it feels like not as many people exist. I forever sit waiting until it's day time again and people are active again.
    Have you tried beta blockers before? I'm actually surprised at how well they are working for me and my dr is very happy with how I'm doing on them.
    You're not being silly at all. Unfortunately none of us can help how our mind works. If we could then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place

Welcome to the forum ��

hi, ive just joined too

Thread Information