Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Autism

Re: Autism

Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
    The National Autistic society are crap.
    When my son was diagnosed, we were given his diagnosis and that was that - we had no idea what to do from there. NAS helped us a great deal. That's from a parent's perspective.

Yes I have good self-esteem and confidence. I did a lot of research. One thing most of us autistics are good at is research! I started looking at highly-sensitive people. Also I am a INFJ personality. I kept coming across autistic people in these groups too. It all began to fall into place.
    I know you won't like me saying this, bluebottle, but too much "research" can be unhelpful and can make you extremely vulnerable and suggestible to all kind of theories. generated by unscrupulous individuals. All this just generates anger and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I know you won't like me saying this, bluebottle, but too much "research" can be unhelpful and can make you extremely vulnerable and suggestible to all kind of theories. generated by unscrupulous individuals. All this just generates anger and anxiety.
    It may make you anxious. Not me. I take what I need and leave what I don't. And I don't mind you saying it, as long as you aren't insinuating that research is a bad thing for me. You see I am intelligent and able to decipher fact from fiction.

I've no doubt that you are intelligent but you are also very vulnerable.

The National Autistic society are crap.
    I think they struggle with high functioning autism and consequently a lot of people fall into that "grey area" where appropriate help is very limited if available at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've no doubt that you are intelligent but you are also very vulnerable.
    What a patronising comment. Kindly don't respond to my posts again.

Fair enough.

I feel I should point this out to you bluebottle: Pulisa is one of the compassionate people here and we are so lucky to have her on NMP. She would never intend to make you feel patronised. She has experience of autism - as do I - and she is kind

Taken from a previous thread..

I've been a member of this site for almost 20 years but I haven't visited for a while. Back then I hadn't got my diagnosis of Asperger's and I'd recently got divorced. Now I find myself isolated and lonely and I'd like to make a few friends.
    You might want to reign in the hostile attitude when commenting then BB..

Pulisa is one of the best on here. She's kind, compassionate, and everything that makes for a lovely human being. She has a lot of experience around autism. She was trying to support you!

Hi again Bluebottle, I’ve been debating with myself about whether to reply to you again. I wondered if you might view my words as hostile, as perhaps you often view the words of others as hostile? But then I thought even if you do think I am being unkind, then that won’t make anything worse for you. But, if there is even the remotest chance that we can help you by suggesting you look at things differently, then it is worth it.

You say you are isolated and lonely and that must be really hard for you. I have loved ones who are autistic and may have autistic tendencies myself so I know a little bit about how social interactions can be stressful.

I feel I have got to know Pulisa a bit over the years. I’ve seen her help so many people with kindness, tact and great wisdom. She has helped me in my very darkest moments. So I know with certainty that she replied to you with nothing other than a desire to help a little, to offer support and insight.
    It was interesting to me that you viewed her words as malign (“patronising”). And then, as NoraB pointed suggested, I began to wonder if this is a common theme for you? I wonder if you often find people are being hostile, patronising or unkind? And whether this leads to a difficulty in forming friendships...... and in turn your feelings of isolation? If there is even a remote chance this is true I would very much urge you to think carefully and openly about how you interpret people (incredibly hard I know)..... because the key to unlocking a more rewarding and connected life might be there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information