Thread: Passing mucus without stool, or mucus mixed with stool - panic!

Passing mucus without stool, or mucus mixed with stool - panic!

Yesterday I went to pass gas, but it was actually mucus with gas. It happened once and then I appeared to pass normally.

Today I defecated with a small amount of formed stool and a medium amount of mucus, then later on I defecated again with more formed stool and a little less mucus mixed in.

I've had the IBS diagnosis since I was 12 or so - nearly 20 years.

I have a theory, but would like to see whether or not people agree.

My theory: I dislike bowel movements so take a number of constipating medications, this includes codeine/paracetamol, Mebeverine, and Imodium. I think that I have taken too many of these medications which has resulted in harder-to-shift stool, resulting in my bowel producing extra mucus in order to lubricate the passage.

Does any of the above sound reasonable? I generally find some mucus in stool, but have not produced mucus on its own (as far as I remember).

The mucus-like substance is, I'm almost certain, mucus. It's sticky without much smell and orange-clear in colour. The stool is a normal brown colour.

Sorry for the level of information, but my anxiety is in overdrive. I've taken a whole diazepam to try and calm down (something I don't often do).

Re: Passing mucus without stool, or mucus mixed with stool - panic!

I have ibs too, I have mucus in my stools and sometimes when I don't its there on the paper after I wipe instead, don't mean to sound graphic but maybe there was some just left inide the rectum after a previous motion and you passing gas just pushed it out?

Quote Originally Posted by half-empty View Post
    I have ibs too, I have mucus in my stools and sometimes when I don't its there on the paper after I wipe instead, don't mean to sound graphic but maybe there was some just left inide the rectum after a previous motion and you passing gas just pushed it out?
    That also makes sense to me, and is what I thought. Yesterday I had the feeling of incomplete defecation, but that's normal with IBS. I also believe I have haemorrhoids.

Thank you for the reply, this forum is helpful

it is a great source of support

Bump for comments from others :(

I have had exactly this since xmas, but it did pass off and I haven't had it for a couple of weeks. It was weird as I was discussing with someone about how sometimes you can go for a poop but the paper is totally clean like you haven't been at all, (I have some bizarre conversations!), then I started with the mucos thing. It did pass so maybe something I was eating, have you been having anything different in your diet? I know someone who gets this through eating cherries. I hope it clears up soon, it is such a worry, I know.

I am chronically backed up from a med I take and have experienced this, esp when really backed up.

Thread Information