Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amitriptyline .... and I slept ! Yay !

Re: Amitriptyline .... and I slept ! Yay !

Not sure how this Amit is working out. Other than a dry mouth I have not noticed any real start-up side effects - yet. But while I think I am getting a more calm night (not tossing and turning quite so much), I am not sure I am sleeping much better - yet ! Still hoping this will change.

I had a good day yesterday. Hubby was home and we had a relaxing afternoon and evening - I even had a few moments when I felt almost 'normal' - laughing and relaxed. Stupidly forgot my evening Propanalol and I think this has resulted in me feeling jittery today - even though I have taken my morning Prop.

It's early days still - only had 6 nights on the Amit, so far too early to see if it is going to help, and I shall give it a fair chance, but only if there continue to be no side-effects.

Would love to know other members' experiences of Amitriptyline.

Well it is still early days - not even 3 weeks since I started on the Amitryptiline, but so far not too bad. No start-up side effects - other than a slightly dry mouth.

BUT, my sleep has definitely improved. I am now probably managing 5 hours in one hit and then dozing for a couple of hours or until I decide to get out of bed. While I am still having to face the challenges which created my anxiety, and I still feel a little jittery on occasion, the anxiety is considerably lessened; of course I am also taking Propanalol so I suspect this is also contributing.

I know I still have some depression, but I am coping. I still have a long way to go but I am convinced that it is the much improved sleep which is helping me cope. Still have little in the way of motivation to get out and about and do stuff, but hoping that the better weather will create a desire to actually get out and about.

No night sweats since before Christmas - and this alone is a significant step forward.

After my awful experiences on Sertraline and then Mirtazapine, I was very anti meds, and reluctant to take the Amit, but so far so good.

Hi glad to hear that Ami is working for you. It's a tricyclic antidepressant and good for nerve pain and sleep. Many people can't take the SSRI's SRNI's etc as they are bicyclic. I tried one of them once and was climbing the walls with anxiety.

I take 10mg Doxepin which is a cousin to Amitriptyline and a bit more sleep inducing, so you could always try them too.

Zopiclone is good but only to take once in a while

Good luck with it. Lesley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information