Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety Causing Hunger?

Question Anxiety Causing Hunger?

Hi all,
    For the past few weeks, my appetite has been increasing..which i get the impression, is the opposite that usually happens with anxiety, when appetite is lost. If i do not eat for more than a few hours, i get intensely hungry...this is worse on waking after not eating during sleep.
    I have recently had numerous blood tests done, including diabetes checks, all of which came back normal. I guess this then rules out a physical problem?
    Does anybody else get hunger rather than appetite loss as a result of anxiety?

Thanks,

CW

x

Re: Anxiety Causing Hunger?

I'm also hungry all the time and have had to give up crisps, (yes even pringles piglet) chocolate, biscuits, cake to stabilise my weight. With me I know it's the medication I'm on. Are you on any? Some of them do affect weight.

Hi Jo,
    Thankyou for the reply. I'm not on any medication at the moment. However i have started to eat much more healthily...lots of fruit and veg, which i didn't eat before. I am also drinking up to 3 litres of water a day. I wonder if the added fibre could be causing food to move through my system faster and account for the hunger because my stomach is emptying more quckly?

Kind regards,

CW

Quote Originally Posted by jo61 View Post
    I'm also hungry all the time and have had to give up crisps, (yes even pringles piglet) chocolate, biscuits, cake to stabilise my weight.

When I first had anxiety and was acute I didn't eat at all and the weight just fell off me - that didn't last too long and I got back to normal.

Now I don't like to miss any meals because I have always felt really trembly when I don't eat and I'm hungry. Low blood sugar sorta feels like a panic attack coming, so I always have a banana in my bag (well that's my story anyway )!!

So in answer to your question, yes I do feel hungry alot of the time and I always think before I go out 'now do I need to eat', rather than 'do I need the toilet'.

Actually no come to think of it I ask both of the above and whole string of other questions like, 'have I locked the back door, have I turned the cooker off, have I got my rescue remedy, have I got my sunglasses' and most often I ask 'do I really want to go out at all'!!!!!!

Piglet

What you don't check you've got your Pringles???

CW, I completely lost my apetite at my worst. I really couldn't eat anything. I'd have a few bites but that was really forcing myself. However, i was very acute at that time. I lost a couple of stone.

With a more low level general anxiety I don't think it is surprising that you feel hungry all the time. Nervous energy is just that. Energy. You are using up reserves in the body much more quickly and so the hunger is your body telling you it wants extra nutrients to replace those that you are putting extra demands on.

With the lower level anxiety I used to crave bananas like they were going out of fashion. I would eat 5 or 6 a day. I then got alot hairier and was subsequently captured and put in a safari park with a group of chimps..........ok, I made the last bit up but I did go banana crazy. Still have 2 or 3 a day now and only go to the banana support group once a week!

Cheers,
    Trev

I have NEVER lost the urge to eat as a result of anxiety,the opposite,i was slim when it started and now i am obese.I eat for comfort maybe,i dont know??But i often wonderd if there were any others here that ate more due to the anxiety.I am trying now to eat healthily and lose some weight as it adds to the daily distress,keep an eye on the eating tho ,it soon creeps up on you the weight gain..yuk!Good luck with it any hoo mate!xxxxxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I then got alot hairier and was subsequently captured and put in a safari park with a group of chimps..........ok, I made the last bit up Cheers,
    Trev
    Hmmmm are you sure you made that up - sounds quite real to me!!

Trouble is with pringles its hard to eat them quietly - whereas a banana you can just squash in your mouth and it all goes lovely and mushy and sticks in your teeth for later!!

I totally love bananas and how great that they come in their own wrapper!!

Piglet

Hmmmm are you sure you made that up - sounds quite real to me!!
    OK, you've rumbled me. I'm actually writing this from a tree with broadband located in the Sumatran jungle!! I've got alot hairier as you can see.............

Nature is great isn't it? Supplying them with their own wrapper. Although, have you seen those "banana carriers"? Mmmm, I'm suspicious of that one!!!

Trev we are not even gonna get into a discussion about those plastic banana carriers cos goodness only knows where that would end!!

Piglet laughs to herself and puts away all the marvellously vulgar stories for another time!

Piglet

Trev and Piglet - behave yourselves!!! I love bananas too and they are supposed to increase your level of trytophan or seretonin or something which makes you feel happy and relaxed - ah ha - that explains your behaviour!

I get even more anxious when I am over hungry - shaky and dizzy and faint so am eating every 3 hours which means I am stuck on my l4 stone weight (size 18) unfortunately!!!! Love wenjoy x

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information