Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does it work?

Hello

I have recently started hypnotherapy for my GAD and had been seeing a counsellor for CBT. My hynpotherapist seems to think that hypno is about a third quicker than CBT but there is no reason you can't do the two together. I think the CBT however made me more restless as I knew I had to think about problems that would leave me with hamster style thoughts that I was unable to get rid of for long periods of time.

I am on hypno sessions number 2 and really felt the benefit from just the first session.

Hope you do too. Best of luck.

Michaela.

I just wanna know what is hypnotherapy. It may help with my PA if i knew what it was.

Jade

hi jade,

hypnotherapy is where someone is talking to you while your eyes are closed and taking you back in your life or taking you to somewhere they tell you to. they make it very imagable so you wont have trouble. they may ask you some questions to answer but they wont do anything like they do on tv like make you run around like a chicken or anything. they talk really softly. i always know when im hypnotized because i can see green waves with my eyes closed and your hands and fingers tingle. people who have had it done to them will know what i mean.

hugs rachel xx

ps. if you didnt undersatnd someone else will explain it better. soz.

Hi Jade,

I haven't much experience with hypnotherapy but I have read quite a bit about it, so I'm going to try and explain what I understand it is.

Forget about Paul Mckenna and people like that(Stage hypnotists), that's all pretend, it's a gimmick to make you pull money out of your pockets to go and see him. You do not act things out, run round like a chicken or anything that you see on those shows. That type of hypnotism is for entertainment and nothing more.

If you went to see a hypnotist they would guide you into a relaxed state, that is what they call a hypnotic trance. You see, when you become relaxed your mind becomes more suggestible which means you won't act things out but you may believe what is said more than what you would if not in a trance.

So, from there your hypnotist may use guided imagery, where you can think of a scenario which may be something from your everyday life. These scenarios can guide you into situations that you would normally be afraid of but by using hypnosis they can help you feel more relaxed in these situations. It can allow you to look at it from a more realistic viewpoint.

It's basically making your subconcious mind more suggestible so you can introduce more positive thoughts into you thinking.

There will be many different methods of hypnosis and maybe if someone here is experienced in hypnosis then they will beable to tell you exactly what happens when you go to see a hypnotist.

The above is just a very basic outline of what they can do.

You can also hypnotise yourself! I think Rachel had a post about that, If your interested I would suggest looking at a few books as they can teach you how to do it.

I hope that helps Jade

mico

I went to a hypnotist and it helped a little , however I got 'scared of listening to my tapes (don't ask!) and stopped using them!!! i think I will start using them though as I paid a bl===dy fortune for 2 sessions!

Love
    lucky

I asked about hypnotherapy in the context of treatment for my dental phobia. (Visiting the dentist, not having Fred in the house)

The Community Mental Health Team where I am having counselling weren't very positive about hypno working. They were quite scientific, and said that it doesn't definite scientific proof.

Before I pay the money, does anybody else have further stories - it worked for Nic, but not for Lucky. A 50 / 50 split isn't enough to get me parted from my cash at the minute!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Hey Charlie

Ive just had my 3rd session on Monday and I have to say im sitting firmly on the fence at the moment. Put it this way, im no better, no worse but only 3 sessions...who knows if its gonna take 4 or 40?(but at 40 quid a session im not having more than 10 at most!!!)
    All I can say is its really relaxing and as mine does councelling too, I get to offload all my rubbish on her.
    I didnt want to go in the first place but am doing it to please my hubby to show him im 'trying' to help myself..well he's paying so what the heck!!
    Im going to see if it will help my panic so thats a pretty major thing to try and 'cure' so who knows?????????

not much help to you but thats my experience so far.....

love Sarah
    xx

charlie,

when i was suffering with PTSD,i had just one session,and refused to go back,even though the nhs was paying!

the hypnotherapist,had a dreadful cold,and as he was talking to me,kept slurping his hot lemsip,i just laid there for 20mins concentrating on his croaky voice!

but thats just my experience,wot works for someone,doesnt mean it will for everyone else,and vice versa.

i also think some people are easier to hypnotise,than others..ime obviously a difficult case lol!

i hope you keep an open mind matey....bryan.

I had hypnosis a couple of times with a psychologist I was seeing years back and I tried relaxation therapy with a healer too but just ended up lying there feeling silly and not a bit relaxed! I'd love for this to work, especially with my fear of flying. Does it depend on a rapport with the therapist or do some people (like me) just find it really hard, or impossible to switch off?

Thanks guys

I think I'll stick with the CBT for a bit longer first.

Glad you aren't feeling any worse Sarah - and it'll be interesting to see how you feel at the end of the sessions. Let me know please. Counselling at the same time sounds like a good idea too. And I know what Bryan means. I'm really funny about voices. I can't listen to a relaxation tape with a narrator who's got an American or Brummie accent (sorry guys, no personal offence meant - but they really get my back up)

It's really tempting when you feel like this to search for a quick, easy, "miracle" cure, spend a fortune, and not really feel much different.

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information