Thread: Feeling let down by mental health services. anyone had counselling with a new baby

Feeling let down by mental health services. anyone had counselling with a new baby

Hi.
    I am 34 weeks and 4 days pregnant with my first baby.
    Since the start of December I have been going through a rough patch. It is affecting me physically eg restless legs at night, inability to sleep, fear of sleep, fear of sitting on my sofa in case my restless legs play up etc.
    I accept nothing I have going on is going to harm me but I just want it all to stop and leave me alone and let me feel normal.

I went to my GP to see about more talking therapy and they referred me to a team of people. I had my initial consultation with them yesterday I told them I was constantly anxious, my past history, how I am scared I have failed or harmed my baby through stress, how I am very sad and upset and tearful all the time, I feel frightened and alone, I am not sleeping, I am unable to relax at all- I can not sit and watch television without violent leg jerks (it looks like im doing the riverdance) when it starts up, a strong urge to move my legs which leaves me in tears every evening.

Anyway. she said she would phone back today and decide what type of therapy might help me etc, she told me any type of therapy would be too time consuming with a new baby to care for and to come back when baby is older. I am not good at sticking up for my self and am very shy and asked her what do I do now then as I really am strangling. she said see my GP and he can give me meds if its that bad. I dont want meds. I am pregnant. I want some real life support but they don't want to give it to me just said they feel I wouldn't have the time with a new baby. But I need some help and I want help but now they have discharged me without even seeing me really. I feel let down and wish I had a back bone. what do i do?

Re: Feeling let down by mental health services. anyone had counselling with a new bab

Emma well done on taking the initiative and doing something.

I am totally gob smacked by what they have told you.

I would suggest contacting MIND. They really know the system and what is available in each area.

Re: Feeling let down by mental health services. anyone had counselling with a new bab

thanks.
    I was a bit suprised as surely loads of women have counselling with new babies eg for post natal depression/ post traumatic stress if they've had a tough birth experience etc.

All I wanted was someone to work through my feelings with and teach me ways to deal with how I feel without it taking over my life and leaving me in tears. I have family and my partners family who would look after baby for an hour or two a week whilst I attend sessions. Seems a bit unfair.

I will google Mind as don't know a lot about them and contact them. Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Em.ma View Post
    she told me any type of therapy would be too time consuming with a new baby to care for and to come back when baby is older.
    Wow, that should be for you to decide not them. Having a baby isn't as time consuming as they make it out to be, I was told I'd have no time to do my makeup or straighten my hair, what a lie! Your new baby usually sleeps most of the day anyway I've never known anyone whose child has literally not given them a minutes peace.
    Not to mention the fact that you could get a childminder while you attend your appointments.

There are meds that are pretty safe to take during pregnancy but I'm not even pregnant and wouldn't go down the med route, if you're already worried you've harmed your baby through stress (you won't have by the way) then meds will only cause more angst.

I would contact someone yourself if at all possible. I'm from the North East and managed to ring a place about counselling and I got 10 sessions. Do you have iapt services where you live? You can self refer you don't need the GP to, I'm not sure what they offer but I had my CBT through them.

Thread Information