Thread: Rapid heartrate

Rapid heartrate

Hi guys

can anyone give me any advice/support about this.Im suffering with anxiety and panic attacks and having trouble with my rapid heartrate.As soon as i go near the doctors or any other anxiety provoking situation it starts and im powerless to stop it.Ive had numerous ecgs,a heartscan and a 48 hour montior a couple of years ago all normal,the docs also done blood tests again normal.Blood pressure is also high end of normal.

I went to the nurse last week for my bp check and she said that my heartrate was high(about 100 bpm at rest) and she talked about having to keep an eye on me because of the possible strain on my heart!!!obviously this has put soooo much fear into me and is hindering my going out and facing the panic / agoraphobia because it obviously puts my heart rate up.so what do i do keep my heart rate down and stay in or go out solve the panic?

Im seeing doc about it next week get some advice,i dont want to go on meds cos im scared of taking anything at mo.I seem to be managing at home getting heartrate down.

Has anybody had similar situation or any advice?

many thanks Wendie j xx

Re: Rapid heartrate

Yes Wendie this is me also!

I only have to see the doctors surgery to get a sudden rush of adrenaline and they have totally given up doing my BP up there. I do it now and again at home and it's fine. Also like you I can keep my heart rate down just fine at home too.

I think that says it all really though doesn't it - if you/we can manage to bring it down at home then that is because we feel comfortable at home and within our comfort zone.

I'm afraid there is no really easy answer here other than to tackle your agoraphobia brought about by this, in the usual baby steps method.

To build your confidence just break it down into managable chunks - for me this was going out in the dark with one of my kids for a walk and then building from this. I have made good progress with this lately and I'm now shopping here and there in the daytime and have managed the dentist and opticians lately too!!

You should also bear in mind that increasing our heart rate is a good thing - obviously to have it permantly high is not the ideal but when we exercise then we are aiming to increase our heart rate to give it some exercise and make it strong.

So perhaps when your heart rate does increase in these situations look at it as a bit of exercise.

One more thing I did to get over this fear of my heart going too fast was to buy a little mini trampolene. I jog on this for about 15 mins every day if I can, to music, deliberatly to raise my heart rate and exercise. I was scared when I first got it and could only be on there for about 2 mins but now I am quite happy.

Doing exercise regularly to get a fast rate going begins to make you fear it less.

Piglet

Hi Wendy
    This is very common, so common in fact that we in the profession call it "white coat syndrome" Everytime my dad goes to the doc to get his blood pressure checked its up but when i take it at home its fine. So now i take it monthly and he goes to the gp every six months armed with his little book and the gp looks at it checks it himself and tells him its fine, i practically run a family hypertension clinic, lol. Take piglets advice and try not to worry about it.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendie j View Post
    I went to the nurse last week for my bp check and she said that my heartrate was high(about 100 bpm at rest) and she talked about having to keep an eye on me because of the possible strain on my heart!!!
    many thanks Wendie j xx
    Hi Wendie,

It's such a shame that nurse said that as it's not true and especially not if your heart is not always that rate! They should not say things like that to anxious people should they.

Anyway my heart has been very high at times, 135 with anxiety once and 145 when I had food poisoning. I often get it from 100 - 120 with anxiety, even out of the blue at home it happens sometimes. Our hearts are designed to go way over 100, either when exercising or even just doing other tasks during the day. It would only be a concern if it was above 100 at rest all the time, all day every day and all night etc. If it's ok at home then that is a good sign. I do understand that it's scary when it happens though.

Anyway I saw a cardiologist and asked him if this harms the heart and he said it doesn't harm it at all. My CBT lady said it gives it a good workout and makes it stronger!

I hope that reassures you a little,

Lisa
    Last edited by Quirky; 28-02-07 at 15:37.

Hi Wendie

It is common for your heartrate to be high with anxiety i was the same sometimes it would be over 100, i went to see my doc about it and he said my heartrate was high, at the time my anxiety was bad.

Try to relax if you can i know that can be hard try to take deep slow breathes and count to 10 or listen to a calming cd it did work for me.

Hope your better soon

linda xx

Hi, any help i suffer as well, i work for the ambulance service so going in and out of hospital day in day out this tends to keep my bpm between 100 and 120. Anyway most peoples heart rate at rest ranges from 60 to 80 bpm, and as you are aware when moving, walking running and even worryed it can increse you heart rate up to 20+ bpm, and as for the nurse to say what she did is not fair, most people suffer some form of anxiety when seeing a doctor, nurse. I really would'nt worry yourself to much.
    Take Care and try to relax!!

Diane xx

Thread Information