Thread: Does this justify Brain scans?

Does this justify Brain scans?

Hi there
    I am nearly 23 yrs old and i consider myself young to have what i consider such a difficult life when in theory i have no stresses.
    I will try to explain...i have have suffered with anxiety issues and depression since i was about 16 and have been on antidepressants.I would say i am a sensitive person and once i collapsed out the blue and was out cold for 10mins..depsite blood tests it was concluded that it was one of those things that just happens.This did affect me for some time as i was anxious every time i was in that place where it happened.
    I eventually became independent and had got my life ontrack as i moved away from happy and worked hard at my job and had a good sociallife,i was still taking antidepressants at this time as i did have anxiety worries but they didnt affect me living my life to the full.
    Then out the blue when visiting a friend in Newcastle i came across faint and tried to sit down and recover but i couldnt as it was a constant feeling that i was going to collapse and i couldnt even walk....in the end i ended up being taken to hospital...i didnt pass out in the end but i tried my hardest to not overcome it...i felt strange at the hopsital and still felt like i could pass out..i didnt think the doctor helped as he just tested my urine and said i had a urine infection...i had no symptoms whatsoever!so 2 tablets were given to me..to cut along sorry short i felt surprising odd and like a "different" person when i left the hopsital..it is hard to explain but i felt like i had gotten into a different state of conciousness but didnt return to how i was before the episode that had happened.I tried to forget about it and say to myself that i was ok but days to weeks later i started getting confused and feeling odd..thinking strangely and not knowing who i was anymore.

I want to have a brain scan to know if everything is normal but my parents are against this as they say its a waste of time.....i also feel lightheaded most of the time...i dont get headaches which is one plus point.I was wondering if there could possibly be a physical problem that had caused me to think strangely and feel not inthe real world.

I appreciate your help,Thankyoux

Re: Does this justify Brain scans?

hi kat
    i'm 25 and suffer from anxiety and depression,It started with me when I was 16 soon after I left school.
    I went on antidepressants a few years ago.
    I used to pass out,it would be when I got up for something and like a head rush but just got worse and my heart would start pounding then I would wake up on the floor a while after feeling weird.I tend to just ignore things but after about the 5th time I told my brother about it,he told me to go to the doctor but I never did.
    When I gave up the antidepressants it seemed to stop,I was on Fluoxetine (prozac)
    I've really wanted a brain scan for a while,maybe it might answer questions why i'm different to normal people,I feel theres a little more to it than just anxiety and depression.

Sounds like depersonalisation, which can be a feature of depression - and indeed a friend of mine suffers from depression and feels like how you described at the moment.

What you've described does not sound like anything that would suggest anything is wrong with your brain - however, I think if you are worried it would be worth asking for a scan. I have had similar symptoms from anxiety and have had a CT scan which is a great help in reassuring me, alternatively you may not need this kind of reassurance. It's probably best if you can work out for yourself that it's anxiety - read some of the posts about headaches and you'll find that lots of us suffer from similar symptoms. I really feel for you and hope that things come good soon.
    Cheers,
    Chelle

Thread Information