Thread: Leg sensations - anxiety?

Leg sensations - anxiety?

I've found this site really useful - hope you can help with these symptoms...

Since last summer I've had various sensations in my leg. It started off feeling as if I was trembling from my knee to my ankle (but you couldn't see anything moving) and sometimes my leg would feel as it it was cold (but it wasn't!). This would last 4 or 5 days then would disappear for a couple of weeks then come back. I went to see my GP who examined my leg and sent me for blood tests (thyroid, B12, folic acid, iron) - nothing was wrong! Then, just before xmas I started getting stinging feelings all over my leg and also occaisional small white patches (sometimes with a blue vein in the middle). These patches would sting at first then some would fade away, some are still there. I went back to the doctor who noted my new symptoms but wouldn't examine my leg again as it'd been done previously. Now my leg stings and aches all over - and it's made me very anxious. Just last week I went back to my GP - who told me it was all due to anxiety. I don't know what to think: do I accept this or is it because I'm prone to anxiety that makes it easy for the doctor say my problem's due to this....

Re: Leg sensations - anxiety?

Hi Ger, I've had stinging sensations in various places on my body due to anxiety. The trembling you had to start with sounds like anxiety too.
    The white patches sound a bit odd, have you got any pets that might be bringing in insects? Or something you might be allergic to? If you have new symptoms the doctor really should have another look, I'd go back or maybe look for a second opinion if you're worried.

HI
    im with cattttt on this one, anxiety can cause some of those symptoms you mentioned but if there is some new symptom on your leg and its visible then your gp should really be having a look at it. Not because im thinking that its bound to be something serious but because your anxiety shouldnt stop your gp from taking any new symptoms seriously
    go back and see another gp and set your mind at rest.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll make another appointment with my GP. I've seen a couple of doctors in the practice but they both took the same line and wouldn't look at my leg. I had a panic attack a couple of weeks ago and I went to an NHS walk-in centre (as I didn't know what was happening!). I mentioned my worries about my leg, and the doctor there told me to go and see my GP who would refer me to a rheumatologist. So I went back to my GP who just said 'it's anxiety' and gave me a prescription for propranalol. I think I'm going to have to work out very carefully what I'm going to say and practice it before I go, so hopefully they can take me more seriously.

Thread Information