Thread: First long haul flight and flight alone

First long haul flight and flight alone

Hi,
    I am a student and I am 19 years old and recently my partner has been deported back to Hong Kong. I will not see him until September and I am unable to visit him over the summer due to available time and also because i am not very good in very hot weather.
    I am therefore hoping to visit in the easter holidays (21st-31st March) but i am currently physically unable to purchase my flight tickets due to anxiety.
    I am really anxious about the idea of an aprox 13 hour flight, flying on my own (as both will be my first time - a long haul and alone) and the thought of being ill when i'm there.
    I am really good at flying and have had no problem with flying in the past, other than some mild anxious thoughts and feelings that are to be expected.

I think the main thing contributing to my anxiety is that my mum really doesn't want me to go, since she worries about me a lot (which i can understand) but in an attempt to prevent me from going she has told me anything to put me off, e.g. that i have anxiety and shouldn't go, i'm not mature/street-wise enough, i won't be safe, i have been ill abroad before etc. and so this has increased my anxiety and made me feel that if my mum (who surely knows me best) doesn't think i should go, then maybe i shouldnt??

I have spoke to my disability advisor at university who knows me well and she has encouraged me to go and believes i am mature enough and that it could be really good for my anxiety and an amazing experience, and as I am really hoping to travel a lot in life, i know i need to start somewhere and i cannot let my anxiety rule my life.

But of course i am still anxious so i was just wondering what others thought or about their experiences?

Re: First long haul flight and flight alone

I traveled alone to South Africa when i was 15 and i enjoyed it. I am now in my 40's and have more anxieties about flying especially lots of queuing , security and crowds but 90% of my flying trips have been positive and conquering an anxiety can be a positive experience.
    I have flown to parts of Europe and its only 2 hours and intercity bus journeys in UK can be three times that and i have found most airports and cities around the world most people can speak English and help you out.
    Get yourself medical insurance as it sounds like an interesting part of the world and if you don't feel right you can always fly back sooner airlines can be quite accommodating .

I think you know you best and it sounds like you want to go. Take things to keep you occupied on the plane adult colouring books are good and therapeutic.

Can you be met at the airport then you won't be alone. As for being ill just remember good food hygiene and have insurance.

Most importantly have a great time there and enjoy it

Clare

I'm off on a plane on 26th of March. Not as long as your flight. Its only to Majorca. I'm trying to find ways to distract myself.. Or I'll be asking them to stop the plane so I can get off.

Go! And tell the crew how you feel. They will be there to check on you and making you feel comfortable. Which airline are you using? Do let them know that it's your first long haul by yourself. When you reach the gate, ask to speak to a crew member. They will make you feel so well and calm.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Ps. My mother is like that and I'm 40. You could tell her to worry all she wants, but keep her thoughts to herself. That's how she can help you, if she's not able to be supportive.

I remember first I ever flew I was really anxious, what I will say is have some sweet to chew at take off it'll help with ear popping I took a few words search books to do which helped but to be honest long haul flights normally have videos etc for you to watch and take your mind off things, yes it's scary you will be anxious but if your like me I couldn't wait for the flight back I enjoyed it that much, I'm guessing if you don't go you would really regret it don't let the anxiety spoil it and have fun

Thread Information