Thread: Discouraged so easily

Discouraged so easily

I never know where to start posting on here but need to try to explain where I'm at! Just feel I need some help.

I'm struggling so much. I seem to take one step forward and think I'm recovering. then the slightest thing knocks me back. I just seem to be on a roller coaster ride and it drives me crazy! I was having counselling for a few years and that helped and probably need to go back. At the moment everything, from bad parking around my house, to a demanding dog, through to not being able to open a jar depresses me. I get anger to easily and then feel tearful. My mood swings happen so frequently.

I'm losing heart that I'll ever feel well. I've forgotten what it's like to stay on an even keel and just get on with my life. I can function but it's so hard and I feel worn out and it's taking it's toll physically as well now I think. I really need to get some exercise and lose some weight. I feel a total mess and have no confidence in anything I do.

How does everyone really keep some sort of sustained recovery going?

Re: Discouraged so easily

I can't say that it will always work for everyone as I have had many relapses over the years but my most recent bill of better mental health appears to be tied into a number of key things:-
    1) Exercise, regular exercise. especially as my Meds have a side effect of adding weight
    2) Person centred talking therapy. My therapist deals clearly with fact & fiction with me
    3) Mindfulness. Not always effective BUT always relaxing

Re: Discouraged so easily

Thanks. It's useful to know what you have found beneficial. I'm going to start to do some regular exercise from today. I think that is the first step for me. I had a really challenging weekend in lots of ways and "crashed" yesterday. Hit rock bottom. Fed up of all of this. It's time to stop thinking about how I'm going to change - need to just get up and do it.

Thread Information